Search the forum,

Discuss What Tools should I Get For Starting An apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liam-1

i am starting an apprenticeship in january but wont be going to college till september but i would like to have a rough guide on what tools to get any input would be great thanks !:)

Rothenburger superfire 2
Grips
Adjustable spanners

Bss and pts are doing a very good deal ATM for most of this

Superfire 2, burn mat, bag, gas, grips ÂŁ70+vat. That's cheap btw. And good quality

Rothenburger superfire 2
Grips
Adjustable spanners

Bss and pts are doing a very good deal ATM for most of this

Superfire 2, burn mat, bag, gas, grips ÂŁ70+vat. That's cheap btw. And good quality

Thats a brilliant deal!

Mug, teaspoon, spare kettle element ...

These will earn you brownie points.

If you were to ask me, I'd advise you not to buy too much. Tools depreciate very quickly (financially) and if things don't work out or if you can't find a job then you won't have wasted large amounts of money. It is not very difficult to spend ÂŁ500 on only a few items.

You can't go wrong with Bahco spanners (they're expensive though!)
Pump pliers don't have to be Knipex but if you can afford them, lucky you! To start with you might prefer the price of Rothenbergers.
A set of screwdrivers won't be expensive and will be useful.
Pipe cutters (15mm and 22mm) to start. Wheel cutters are better than the fiddling G clamp shaped affairs.

If you can work for a week and borrow tools, make a note at the end of each day of what you use. Then go shopping on the Saturday and buy those tools if you think you'll use them again soon.

This way, you'll not spend needless pounds on tools you hardly ever use.

What age are you?

If you are a young lad and depending on how many plumbers other work at the place, just get some basics. A hammer, a couple of decent screwdrivers, 15 and 22mm pipe slices, a tape, a junior hacksaw a set of 9" footprints and a pair of pump pliars and a couple of adjustables. Put a mark on everything as someone will nick them. Don't bother with a gas torch for now. Most places will give you one if they are half decent.
If there are a few other guys there they will probably pass you some other tools and you can build up the rest to suit the work you are doing

Pump pliers don't have to be Knipex but if you can afford them, lucky you! To start with you might prefer the price of Rothenbergers.

Lidl sell half decent pump pliers for about ÂŁ4. Good enough to learn with.

Good advice dkia :wink:

find a good bootfair and keep your eyes WIDE open the ammount of people that retire and sell everything in site is un real!! if you find any speak to who ever is selling it as im sure they may do you a deal if they knew the tools would be staying in the trade. i have picked up some real gems for next to nothing that way and ten years on there are still a few i use top of my head a hilti te 26 110v for ÂŁ60!! that thing just runs and runs!

If you did buy a blow lamp get your self a sheet of plasterboard some fittings,clips and pipe then practice practice practice! try to keep the board clean from grubby hands and burn marks learn your different fixings and fittings and you'll also see what tools you use and need to do the basics.

well done on landing an apprenticeship they are few and far between, welcome to the industry its an ever changing world.
but most importantly remember there is no point teaching someone who knows everything or cant listen to simple instructions! best of luck for the future pal

i am just to add get your self a comfy safety boots will be lots of running about

i would avoid a power torch and get a smaller simple blow torch to start/practice with. Its alot easier to learn with a small flame, and you wont get a beating for burning the customers wallpaper.

i use this torch even for 28mm, its got a great small flame
DIY / Professional Range | GoSystem

as for other tools,

hammer
tape measure
set of decent screwdrivers
pencil
tool bag/box
grips
adjustable spanner
wood chisel
file
15 and 22mm pipeslice
2ft sprit level
pliers
junior hacksaw

A couple of pairs of good, comfortable work pants with kneepads.

U need more than 1 adjustable spanner - get a decent quality set (you don't need to buy Snap-on,- Draper and Stanley are decent enough, but avoid the market stall Chinese rubbish)

Cromwell Tools (on the net) is a good place to buy decent stuff at a fair price from. Their Kennedy branded stuff is good for the money

Last edited:
What age are you?

If you are a young lad and depending on how many plumbers other work at the place, just get some basics. A hammer, a couple of decent screwdrivers, 15 and 22mm pipe slices, a tape, a junior hacksaw a set of 9" footprints and a pair of pump pliars and a couple of adjustables. Put a mark on everything as someone will nick them. Don't bother with a gas torch for now. Most places will give you one if they are half decent.
If there are a few other guys there they will probably pass you some other tools and you can build up the rest to suit the work you are doing
i think its only me and you still use foot prints here i dont know how anyone manages without 9 AND 7 inch FP' especially the smalller ones if your on domestic work pump pliers under a sink unit are a nightmare

i use pump pilers and sometimes find them ***bersome are footprints really that good? maybe i should get some

cheers i will look into getting some and report back actually on thinking about it i have an irwin wrench which are much like footprints you can use them with one hand. will have to look them out.

And towels to wipe up spillages/drips, etc ... as well as your mucky footprints.

op will probably require skyhooks and a long stand at some point!

+1 for footprints! use mine loads, can get the genuine ones on flea bay pretty cheap direct

+1 for footies, i use mine loads! can get em cheap on flea bay direct from footprint

thanks, i am working on a building site with 10 other plumbers and they have already bought me a open tote tool bag nd i have bought a level and 15mm,22mm,28mm pipe slice also hack saw pencils nd scewdrivers and footprints wich i find great ! the work only have 4 blow torches and have to be shared about normaly there is one on each site.

if they're buying you stuff i think you have landed on your feet there mate. good luck i hope your apprenticeship progresses well

Do not be fooled into asking for a long stand or a sky hook! lol, You get the just, i'm no telling you anymore though! You can figure them out yourself! ;0)

tamz am 15 atm but the the company i work for took me as a work placement and decided they wanted me for an apprentice nd i sed ok but i aint 16 till january so i dont start apprentice ship till september but i am working as a plumbers mate but get to fit radators an bore holes and other stuff.

tamz am 15 atm but the the company i work for took me as a work placement and decided they wanted me for an apprentice nd i sed ok but i aint 16 till january so i dont start apprentice ship till september but i am working as a plumbers mate but get to fit radators an bore holes and other stuff.

Good for you son. Stick at it and show you are keen and leave the phone in your pocket. You have been given a chance not many will get so make the most of it.

I took a boy on a work experience thing years ago who was 15 and more trouble to the school than he was worth. He never went back and they were quite happy to leave him with me. He straightened himself out quick enough working with other guys and worked for me for 8 years before moving on, He is a very good tradesman and i am proud of him.

top lad wish there was more like you,willing to do a bit

+1 for footprints! use mine loads, can get the genuine ones on flea bay pretty cheap direct
just got a set of footies on fleabay 99p plus post i'll wait with baited breath for them to arrive to see if they are as good as everyone says lol

just got a set of footies on fleabay 99p plus post i'll wait with baited breath for them to arrive to see if they are as good as everyone says lol

I think they're a love em or hate em tool, you get used to them straight away or you use them once and leave them in your big toolbox in the van.

Personally I prefer the Knippex grips but I have other Footprint tools including a nice set of chisels.

well at 99p it wont matter if i dont get on with them but i thought i would see what everyone was raving about lol

i dont even take my fone to work :), and thanks, thats like me i left skool early but for this job so i hope everything goes well

well at 99p it wont matter if i dont get on with them but i thought i would see what everyone was raving about lol
You will love them! Not as clumsy as pump pliers, but it will take a lot of practice to handle them properly! Can nip your fingers if you slip off a nut! :laugh3:

we shall see. i can't wait now i've actually taken the "plunge"

I have my Grandad's footprint wrench set from the 1920s and still as good as they were back then. The tiny ones are handy in tight spaces. Must confess I do tend to use the speed wrenches more mowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What Tools should I Get For Starting An apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock