Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss What tool is needed? Removing tap from kitchen sink in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Gem28

Gem28 New Member

Hi, can anyone let me know what is needed to remove this very stubborn tap from the kitchen sink.

EB95FC99-7919-4A86-B4F9-239B6F994572.jpeg

2. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber Top Contributor!!

You're going to need an adjustable basin wrench/spanner to get that chrome nut removed. Once you've dropped the chrome nut, you should be able to pull the tap away from the sink enough for the copper tails to be accessible, they can come off with a small spanner or adjustable spanner.

e2a: one of these
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gem28

Gem28 New Member

Wonderful, thank you Pickwickpick. Going to grab one now x

• Like Like x 1
  4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Looking at that I would dowse it in WD40 well before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pickwickpick

Yeh that would be a good idea, although it looks like its smeared in sealant to me, so would need to try and scrape some of it of for the WD40 to work.

You also might need to increase the leverage on the tap wrench, you could use a piece of pipe/spark plug socket on the handle.

6. Gem28

Gem28 New Member

Cr*p the space is too small to fit the end of the spanner Are there any narrower ends?

17D69AEA-814C-4DDF-9D31-56C9788B5F34.jpeg

7. Gem28

Gem28 New Member

Quite hard to get a decent picture.

We’ve covered it in wd40 and I’ve scrubbed it with wire wool etc too

EFAF2624-86B1-4FA1-88A2-C26BAA218D80.jpeg

8. Gem28

Gem28 New Member

Hopefully the lighter picture shows how tight the space is. The hinge part of the wrench is too big for it.

I wish I could meet that person who designed this sink

0A9B2585-A4AA-45E2-9B62-AADD2E80AE5A.jpeg

9. Pickwickpick

Are there isolation valves fitted on the 15mm copper pipe work?

10. CBW1982

CBW1982 Member

If the sink/basin is off the wall, you could try an adjustable spanner or grips on the nut and turn the tap with your hand.

A big box spanner or monument tap spanner might be thinner

Monument 2 Jaw Adjustable Basin Wrench

Good luck. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pickwickpick

That's a lot tighter than it looked from the initial pic, you're going to need to remove the copper tails so that you can get a box wrench (see pic below) onto the nut.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

monument basin spanner might do it, often with a coin
    supa glued to one side if its too slack ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  13. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

With the water turned off and the copper tails cut , try turning the tap body from the top , it might loosen it enough

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pickwickpick

Looks like I deleted part of my message by mistake.

To get the copper tails off, if they won't unscrew by hand, clamp onto them with some molegrips and use the grips to unscrew them (after having initial cut them off the 15mm pipework or removed them from iso valve).

If there's not enough access for you to turn the box wrench, or to extend leverage on the handle, you might find its best to have someone hold it in place for you, whilst you turn the tap (depending on what sort of tap you have, post a pic of it maybe). Once you've cracked the nut, you can then unscrew it easily with the box wrench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gem28

Gem28 New Member

Thanks all, yeah we’ve been trying to hold the nut whilst turning the tap but no joy, it’s all just spinning.

A pic of the tap is attached.

2719A4EA-8F0C-4EE2-BC6F-9A3825FEFBD6.jpeg