Search the forum,

Discuss What size pipe to use for garden tap - long distance 80m? Overground not buried in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things. Customer has a huge garden, requiring a tap at the end. Firstly is it best to use say 25mm bore plastic pipe? Will I get better pressure by using a larger bore pipe, or lose pressure over that distance? Direct off mains.
Secondly the customer does not want their garden dug up to put this pipe in a trench, and is mostly unseen next to a hedge. The blue pipe is meant to be buried to protect from UV, and it would cost a small fortune to lag that much pipe. Pipe will be shut off and drained in winter, so is there a particular overground exposed pipe I could use without lagging? Or is the sunlight damage thing just scare mongering and will be fine to use?

They make black poly for above ground. As for diameter it would also depend on pressure and flow rate.

You would also have to dig up the trench about 750-1350mm so it's not as easy either. Apparently you do not need to lag the pipe in ground if you lay it between 750-1350 but me personally I would always do it. You could install it n a duct or lag it as you already have mentioned. But as above you can get black mdpe pipe

whats the pipe going to be used for?

If I was the cust I'd just get standard garden hose 100m and attach it to existing tap.

I am a plumber yes lol. I wouldn't normally involve myself in jobs involving pipes underground.
At the moment they do use a really long hose pipe, but don't want to walk the distance to the first tap to turn it on and off, and clearly they can't have the mains fed all the time through the hose, i.e leave the first tap on if a new one put on the end..
It's just a water supply for some veg gardens at the back. I just hope the double check valve, doesn't restrict the pressure too much, or jam up like they can do.
Black mdpe pipe it is, I'll go for 25mm.

Just make sure that double check valve is at the source so the water, stagnant in the pipe, can't backfeed the mains when it warms up from sunlight. And they jam because they freeze - the double check valve should be indoors. How about a mini-expansion vessel to allow for expansion or is MDPE forgiving enough? Whether or not you're a plumber, let's just hope you do it right! I don't know what's right - I'd be asking the same questions as you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What size pipe to use for garden tap - long distance 80m? Overground not buried in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock