Search the forum,

Discuss what screws ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simon m

hello all just kitting out my van and looking around this site which is giving lots of help so thanks to all for the info you have posted

i am poping down to get a load of screws and plugs was thinking of picking up a some mixed packs they sell in screwfix/toolstation but dont want packs in the van 2 years later that i never use so what brand / sizes of screws do you guys/gals use most of eg for pipe clips, boxing in, floor boards that kind of thing.

the same with plugs but can match them up with the screws so not a big one.

also were is a good place to buy end feeds from in 100 packs dont mind if online or shops.

also tis it worth geting a seclo account eg are they any good

thanks in advance

Just get one of those metal carry case screw kit boxes with assorted sized screws. Really handy. Red plugs, brown plugs plus a few 8mm and 10mm plugs, plasterboard plugs. You also need brass screws - a box of some big enough to fix WCs to the floor and a box long enough to fix cisterns and basins to the wall and floor. You will also need plastic screw covers (from Screwfix) two different sizes - to hide screw heads where visible such as WC bases, and they also do as washers when fixing basins to the floor and wall. Also get a box of short 1/2" screws (and a stubby screwdriver) for screwing bath feet to the floor.

It is worth getting a box of 2" x 10 gauge screws for fixing radiators to the wall

End feed fittings from Plumbfix / Screwfix

You will find you may need other sizes later such as 3" or 4" screws when boxing in pipes. Frame fixings are extremely useful for boxing in or fitting wooden frames to walls.

Last edited:
I like the Rawlings UNO as they are good in most walls - mainly use red and brown, screwfix has them on offer at the mo. Also agree with a selection box of screws - plenty in screwfix also. I picked up a case of Fischer screws the other day which comes in a handy case.

thanks wipes why is it every time you think there is not much left too get you always find or rem somthing

I could spend a fortune on tools and fittings! There is nearly always a screwfix/toolstation/merchants near every job though!

i use the gold screw i get the box of assorted sizes for about £20 in screwfix

My favourites are TurboGold (Screwfix and B&Q). Had a box 2 years ago or so for £28 with mix of 16mm (useless), 25mm (nearly useless), 3.0x30mm (ok), 4.0x35mm (just about ok), 4.0x40mm, 4.0x50mm, 5.0x70mm (all excellent) and now I have 5.0*60mm as well. Use red plugs with 40mm and 50mm and brown plugs with 60mm and 70mm.

The turbogold screws have a tiny drill bit end to them which helps pull them in but they do rather wreck the joint if you need to take them out again. One small thing I do is keep some plugs in with the screws as it saves time looking for them in the van.

Also have a few plasterboard tubby things with their own screws and washers and a few Fischer cavity fixings - expensive but brilliant.

After that it's usually a builder's job.

box of 11/2" stainless steel screws to go outside and secure chip fryer and down pipe supports etc. nothing worse than rust streaks 4 months down the line

got a carpenters selection from screwufix with 16 compartments. 40,000 odd other screws at home of every size and type (not 1/2'' x 12 though as 20years ago these cost £95 per 100, yup, made that mistake once.lol.)

tbh, i can get away most days with 1'' 1-1/2'' 2'' & 2-1/2'' 8's + 2-1/2'' 10's. red and brown plugs. any other just pop off to get them but very unlikely from day to day.

Screws are not that expensive (brass ones are) but if you buy a trade box and top up as you need it keeps them all together and stops them from getting scattered around. I tend to mainly use twin thread screws as i like them better. Also use the collapsable hollow wall anchors for anything going on plasterboard. M5 x 37's or M5 x 45's will hang most things but a box of M4's are handy.
BES are as cheap as screwfix for the screws and as cheap as any for fittings.

so what size brass screws would you guys recommend for the jobs where brass are needed eg cisterns, toilets

Dont forget plasterboard plugs, and fisher plugs for heavy duty fixing. Just dont get a plastic case for them -mine has been smashed to bits in the back of my van!

You can top up the ones you use a lot.

If you're going to be doing outside taps and / or guttering you need some 30mm brass screws as well.

Last edited:
For many manufacturers sizes as follows (but not always - check the pack labels!):

Yellow plugs - 5mm

red plugs - 6mm

Brown plugs - 7mm

orange plugs - 8mm

green plugs - 10mm

Of course some manufacturers they are all grey / colours may vary.

Its always worth buying good quality screws, I prefer Reisser or Spax, it sounds anal but you really can feel the difference especially if you have to take a few out again.
Size wise I would have 4.0 x 25/30/35/40/50 and 5.0 x 50/60/70/80 and 6.0 x 100 plus an assortment of smaller sizes like 3.5 x 16/20/25
Also get a screwfix selection tray of self tappers and a tray of stainless steel self tappers.
Plugwise I like Timco, good quality plastic, not too hard, I use mostly brown but carry yellow and red as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what screws ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. What would you recommend for pipe support whilst running 15mm central heating pipes parallel to floor joists? My idea is to screw wood supports perpendicular to the joists and clip the pipes to the top, or, screw-in wood supports with 22mm holes and pass through the pipe. When the pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all I've got an old baby belfast sink I want to use and I'd like to mount it on old brackets... I've done a mock installation in another part of the house just to see how secure it feels on the brackets and I'm happy with the result. If I put a lot of downward wait on the front lip of the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My twist pop-up bath plug isn’t working and when trying to repair I’ve made a few daft decisions which have led me to the position I’m now in. I first of all adjusted the plug itself by lengthening it using the screw underneath. This didn’t work, so I looked at the twist dial. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. I’m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Hi I am not sure whether I have posted correctly earlier today, if so please forgive me as I am trying again just in case. I have a sink that has the basin plus another smaller basin next to it, think it is a 1/4 of the size of the main basin. The unit comes up through one hole, has 2 taps...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock