Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss What makes a great boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. kasser

kasser GSR

A little survey of what feature you guys think makes a gas boiler stand out from the rest.
    Is it:
    • brand (WB anyone?)
    • flow rate
    • hex material
    • no Plate hex (intergas, Ferroli)
    • efficiency (93.47% better than 93.43%)
    • price
    • anything else
    To me it's the modulation factor. No point having a 100% efficient boiler if you need 5kW of heat and it's stuck at 30kW.

I also think efficiency is well overrated. Most manufacturers boast how efficient their boiler is. All condensing boilers should be efficient anyway but this is wasted if the house is not well-insulated or the boiler doesn't go into condensing mode because return temp is too high.

2. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

The main thing is reliability and the second main thing is the after service. I'm not going to fit a boiler if when they have a problem they are without heat for a week before someone turns up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

A trusted reliable GSR engineer who knows his boilers, but never WB they were good but no more. I would have an
    Archie Kidd Boiler even second hand. centralheatking

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It’d be great if boilers could modulate do to under 1 kw to be really efficient. Capability to not be affected by sludge :D

5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Good layout for future maintenance and service.
    Reliable.
    Good manufacturer back up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

As above must be reliable easy to replace parts when eventually needed , with a decent warranty . Kop

• Like Like x 1
  7. kasser

kasser GSR

Reliability is quite subjective isn't it? It's shaped by your experience mostly.
    For e.g. some swear by Ideal, others not at all...
    Can we have a few names of reliable boilers?

8. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

Not ideal

I like baxi dont think you can beat a duotec/ platinum for a combi even though slightly noisier than most. I look after a few viessman which seem fairly reliable but the cost puts a lot of people off and the parts are not cheap.

9. kasser

kasser GSR

Quite like Baxi too. They pay a lot of attention to the small details. No silly thing like changing the seal every time you open the hex. Plenty of space to work, easy access.
    Biasi is underrated as well. You get a stainless steel hex for this price.

10. Rob Foster

What makes a great Boiler.

Posts like this are great, we all have our opinion. By definition most posts
    on UKPF are from
    individual highly experienced Gsr Engineers who tell it straight because they want to put something back into this great industry. The figures are often mis leading. Sales are a test...Ideal sell more than any other according to Bisria stats
    WB are very media savvy. I tend to use the Car analogy
    Audi...Vaillant
    Ford...WB maybe
    Ideal...Dacia
    but that is MY opinion

Its also a good way to sell these boilers to customers IMHO

centralheatking

11. kasser

kasser GSR

WB = Ford?
    HA HA.
    I don't think they'll be too happy to hear that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rob Foster

Who Ford or WB ?

I drive now Honda and transits and LandRover Defender but would
    always spec a Vaillant against other new Boilers , even tho Audis
    are now are drug dealers cars and all on rental , nuvo rich stuff .

centralheatking

13. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

They’ve all got their quirks, but after sales counts for a lot in my book. I kinda like the newer ravenheat, I had a leak on one straight out of the box, phoned them and they came out the same day!! Fairly local to me but still, same day is pretty good, turns out it was a badly machined part so they came back next day with a replacement,,
    Whereas Vokera with a sticky gas valve issue, they took nearly 2 weeks to come out, boiler was only 6 months old too, they’re off the list for sure.

14. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

I used to like vaillant in the days of the turbomax 242 and 828 but the ecomax wasn't great then the ecotec wasn't great either with dodgy pumps, leaking diverters, exploding hoses and vibrating heat exchangers put me off them.

I would never say Worcester were fords as I have never had a bad Ford I'd say more like a petrol Peugeot great until they leak then the head gasket goes and game over.

I think that's a bit unfair on dacia.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

I think it's good to hear the smaller companies are getting better or is it the bigger companies are steadily getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 1