Search the forum,

Discuss What is your quote success rate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Not if i definitely disliked them.
Don't like where this is going. Id like to help customers get quotes and good contractors get work.
Have a look and tell me what you think:
Some thoughts on how to get a quote from a contractor
I got on really well with all the guys that came, spent time chatting about the industry etc, whether they like me or not is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned,
I don't want to marry them or bare their children, I just want a heating system installed, I understand you don't like where this is going but the sad fact is that because of the nature of the business, I e one off installs people get away with this sort of behaviour.
I know I will be kicked off this forum because I have highlighted and unpleasant subject but to be honest I don't care, I have to tell it like it is.
Anyway your not alone, I'm on another plumbing Forum who have the same issues.

I got on really well with all the guys that came, spent time chatting about the industry etc, whether they like me or not is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned,
I don't want to marry them or bare their children, I just want a heating system installed, I understand you don't like where this is going but the sad fact is that because of the nature of the business, I e one off installs people get away with this sort of behaviour.
I know I will be kicked off this forum because I have highlighted and unpleasant subject but to be honest I don't care, I have to tell it like it is.
Anyway your not alone, I'm on another plumbing Forum who have the same issues.

Have you tried following up ?

And aslong as you respect others and there views and in tern they respect yours no you won’t

Whether they like you is really important. I choose who I work with and choose not to work with people I dislike.
So presumably you would tell them straight away, to their face that sorry you can't help them on this particular occasion?
Or a phone call, text, carrier pigeon?

Have you tried following up ?

And aslong as you respect others and there views and in tern they respect yours no you won’t
Please read previous quotes.
I will take up carpets, move furniture etc, we were even prepared to move out to a hotel to give them a clear run, no interference or people in the way, what more can I do, hold their hands?

I will admit it is common courtesy to contact a potential customer, even by text, just to say I am not interested, too busy, etc.
But also applies to potential customers to contact me to say they have decided to accept another quote etc.

Reasons why I do not quote or contact some people are, -

Time passes because I am busy and I sometimes get embarrassed to contact the person,
or
I get a lot of work elsewhere before quoting,
or
I discover they are getting other quotes,
or
I think the person is dodgy,
or
They are attempting DIY work, or involving cowboy trades,
or
Job site/property is filthy,
or
Existing plumbing to remain is shoddy or dangerous.

I find it strange that many people outside the building trade will choose the best job they can get for themselves, often leaving good jobs just to take a slighter better job, (easier or better paid perhaps).
Yet they wonder why plumbers and other trades do the same! o_O

Got to remind people that we might not actually need their job or their money.

So I have called 5 engineers, so far only one has quoted and that was on the spot.

The other four have not replied, one I liked I need to call back but he did say he was booked up.

So its no wonder that the online service to get a boiler installed is getting so much attraction and ratings.

Have you tried Allen hart ?

No I am just a normal customer / consumer. My initial question was why would a tradesman take the time to come out to quote for work and then not quote - not happened to me before.

Which then lead me onto this question which I thought was interesting.
I have to confess that I am guilty of being asked to quote, visiting clients to carry out a survey, and then simply not having the time to get back to those clients in good time. I always say to the clients as I am leaving,
"please chase me up, I know it sounds bad, but quite often, the paperwork goes onto my desk with every intention of working out the quote quickly, but it often becomes buried under the day to day build-up of paperwork, so please do chase me up".

Some clients do indeed chase me up, and some probably think what a cheek, why should I chase him up, doesn't he want to do our job?

Of the quotes I actually do manage to get done, we have about an 80% success rate, but just lately everything I am quoting has been accepted. I am drowning under a sea of paperwork, and I know I am letting a lot of potential clients down, but unless I work from 7am until 9pm 7 days a week, there is no way I can get back to everyone.

I do try and enjoy a little of my life, spending time with my family.

Key thing for me is, does the customer have a figure in mind that is realistic. If they say 4k and it would only be 3k then I am honest and come in at what it works out at. If they say 2k and it's gong to be 3k then I tell them 2k is not enough and give them a bit of a loaded man maths figure of between x and y. See their reaction as some people want it done for peanuts. Example had a woman on phone who wanted a fully tiled walls and floor, new celing with lights, new everything Inc a new shower enclosure thought it would be 1500 quid supplied and fitted!!?? Did not quote told her it would be mote than that but gave no price. My customers are usually spending about 1500-2000 on materials at least. So 1500 supplied and fitted is not doable. Not worth visiting, waste of her and my time. Also got other wages to pay too for chippie, spark..

Key thing for me is, does the customer have a figure in mind that is realistic. If they say 4k and it would only be 3k then I am honest and come in at what it works out at. If they say 2k and it's gong to be 3k then I tell them 2k is not enough and give them a bit of a loaded man maths figure of between x and y. See their reaction as some people want it done for peanuts. Example had a woman on phone who wanted a fully tiled walls and floor, new celing with lights, new everything Inc a new shower enclosure thought it would be 1500 quid supplied and fitted!!?? Did not quote told her it would be mote than that but gave no price. My customers are usually spending about 1500-2000 on materials at least. So 1500 supplied and fitted is not doable. Not worth visiting, waste of her and my time. Also got other wages to pay too for chippie, spark..
But the problem is somebody with no qualifications will fit it for that money do a bad job and give us all a bad name

I will admit it is common courtesy to contact a potential customer, even by text, just to say I am not interested, too busy, etc.
But also applies to potential customers to contact me to say they have decided to accept another quote etc.

It would be nice if customers said they just wanted to check their plumbers price and not say I want the cheapest lpg combi so I spent 2 hours phoning round getting prices sent the quote out, phoned to make sure they received it (not chasing the job up just making sure I posted it to the right address) then for her to say oh do you know ed I am getting him to do it but I needed 3 quotes so asked you.

Oh thank you very much for wasting 3 hours of my life for no reward that's fine i mean how many people like actually getting paid for their work!!!

It would be nice if customers said they just wanted to check their plumbers price and not say I want the cheapest lpg combi so I spent 2 hours phoning round getting prices sent the quote out, phoned to make sure they received it (not chasing the job up just making sure I posted it to the right address) then for her to say oh do you know ed I am getting him to do it but I needed 3 quotes so asked you.

Oh thank you very much for wasting 3 hours of my life for no reward that's fine i mean how many people like actually getting paid for their work!!!

I have been there and done that.
Many people are so selfish, or perhaps just thoughtless.
Annoyingly some are reasonably wealthy people.
I hate that people get a large job done without asking me to quote and then ring me to repair some part of the job that has broken, or faulty workmanship.

If you are fitting a new boiler - the question might be asked - what is a good boiler. I suppose most people would say they do not know or based on how their current boiler has been working either mention that.

So unless the customer has an idea what they want going out and quoting them is going to have a lower chance of success.

Depends how you sell the boiler you favour to them

Depends on the combi and the installation. I think people will say yes 10 years is fair but there’s a lot to be said for a quality install and a properly clean system

That why you ask questions.

David: Are you seeking quotes?
Punter: Yes. 3/4 or more
David: Apologies, but I'll not bother then. If I'm ever the lowest price I've messed it right up. I do the same job for you I'd do in my own home so it's never going to be the cheapest. I couldn't stand the grief off my wife.
Best wish you good luck then.
Punter: But...

That why you ask questions.

David: Are you seeking quotes?
Punter: Yes. 3/4 or more
David: Apologies, but I'll not bother then. If I'm ever the lowest price I've messed it right up. I do the same job for you I'd do in my own home so it's never going to be the cheapest. I couldn't stand the grief off my wife.
Best wish you good luck then.
Punter: But...

If you do say similar to that to the potential customer, you will get the offer of some of the jobs.

Reply to What is your quote success rate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock