Search the forum,

Discuss what is this soil pipe made of? not cast iron and not plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber89

hi there, uncovered a hidden soil stack today, and its not cast iron or plastic
it is a very shiney black colour, and about 3-5mm bigger in diameter than a standard new 110mm soil.
this is a fairly old house
what had soil stack been made out of,
i am only aware of cast iron, plastic and asbestos, what would be the signs this is asbestos,
if its any help the waste pipes going into this are metal ,didnt have enuf time to check if they were lead.
only thing is i want to know how to join onto this as i have to move the soil for the toilet bath and basin any help would be much apreciated
below is a picture of the soil, and the type of waste that goes into it.
IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

The bath waste is copper have you a picture of the soil pipe in question,

A new picture now? Can you get a picture of a joint on the soil?

Last edited by a moderator:
that picture above the bath waste is the soil m8 oh k cheers, they attach into the soil via a sort of boss with a rubber on it

The top picture did not appear at first, I cant tell what it is? do you have a pic of the boss?

IMAG0165.jpg

sorry that hasnt come out very well, the reason i dont think it was cast iron, as it had plastic black sockets at the end of the pipe( but they did not look like normal new sockets, and i could turn one pipe in the socket, so it defiantly wasn't solvent welded,

i have worked with alot of cast, enzyme and it looks the same as that except its a reddish colour. Timesaver is the black colour but looks the same with the texture

oh k ? i started to cut into it with a hack saw and it seemed to cut into it quite easily? but i didnt go all the way through? this is called cast iron time saver then? what is a way to connect onto this, as i need to move the soil back to get the toilet conected and put a few bosses
cheers

dont quote me on it but by the looks of the picture its cast iron, you get couplings and rubbers with it which you tighten up with a ratchet and socket.

can someone spot me up a pic of what this cast iron timesaver looks like and i will be able to tell you if it is,
im trying to search for what the sockets and boss look like but having no luck at the mo

[DLMURL="http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/soildrain/index.cfm?page=%20Timesaver%20BS%20416-183"]Soil & Drain & Rainwater : Timesaver BS 416 : Saint-Gobain PAM UK[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm both of those links sent do not look like what i have in the bathroom, the sockets look totally different, the connectors just look like a normal push fit connector on plastic pipe really,
if it was asbestos would it look really different,
thanks alot for your time really apreciated

Try tapping the pipe with something metal does it give a ring or a thud

its defienatly not that heritage stuff , the fittings are totaly different, thanks

you can get various types, by the looks of it it looks like cast iron to me, the old cast iron is different though to the "new style" cast iron

cant you just give it a little dink with your hammer to see if its cast ? :hammer: That's what I would do

im not at the job anymore, i did tap it and it really didn't sound like cast,
do they still make cast iron pipe then for soil stacks?
what differnet materials have soil stacks been made out of just so i know plastic cast iron and asbestos then?
thanks

Hi it looks like pitch fibre normally used underground but on a rare occasions I have came across it above ground. I would replace it as I don't think you will be able to source connectors or couplings for it

oh k cheers m8, if it is castiron-lead-copper etc would the best connector for me to getinto plastic, but one of theose ones with the jubileee clips on ? ive used them before when replaceing old type extrenal cast iron

pitch fibre? hmm may well be, the surface of it looks like a load of stuff woven together, could i not use one of these jubille connectors, as i cant remove the whole soil pipe, (i could but that involves ripping out a load of boxing downstairs and replastering

i dont know if it helps but when i cut it with a hacksaw it sort of melted almost, i also put solvent weld on it and it didnt do much ( just to see)

I would say it is pitch fibre you can try a bandseal type rubber connector but the trouble is this pipe degrades with age do it but I would not give any guarantees

oh k cheers, when i start cutting it , how would i know if its pitch fibre? is there anyway i can tell
cheers

looks like pitchfibre to me, by your foto, it was made to go under ground caused a lot of trouble used to flat with the weight on top.

Seen this stuff used on long runs in hospitals etc. It was fitted so it could take really hot water (steam condense) without sagging.
Those links above look like the same stuff

Seen this stuff used on long runs in hospitals etc. It was fitted so it could take really hot water (steam condense) without sagging. Those links above look like the same stuff

I guess OP has the advantage of being on the job and should be able to tell if its metal or not, i honestly thought it was cast as it has the same texture never came across pitch fibre

Yes i agree GQuig. Seen it recently, same texture (ribbed! for her pleasure)

started taking this apart, the pipe was 124mm in diamter, and was about 6mm thick, where the pipe was jointed together, it had a sort of thick rubber type o ring that would go into a socket, after rooting in the stack someone had Bodged a bit of it together useing masking tape! which to my surprise didnt look like it had been leaking, and lower down the soil reduced down to 110 mm exaclty so i managed to get a socket on it, and build up in plastic, why would this stuff of been used ? it looks like awful stuff to work with?

It's not very nice when it blocks up in a ceiling void on a hospital ward
:veryangry2:

pitch fibre or circular nuralite you can actually weld it with pitch it was a cheap alternative that didnt last long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what is this soil pipe made of? not cast iron and not plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock