Search the forum,
  • Thread starter Jamesin newcast
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2K
  • screw

Discuss What is this screw for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamesin newcast

Hi All

Can anyone identify what the screw does on this elbow?

Does it shut the water flow through the pipe on/off if you turn it, or does turning it cause the water to flow out of the drain pipe next to it?

It is one of the boilers connections to the CH circuit. Both have this type of connector.

Many thanks
James

Attachments

• Img_0212.jpg
    Img_0212.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 143
may we ask why you need to shut/ isolate the circuit ???????

Now you have found out what it does , they are common leakers after you have turned them off/on , be warned !

Hi

Thanks for the replies - second question(s) then.

If I screw in the screws in the two pipes, then I have isolated the water held in the boiler, is that right?

When I unscrew them are they retained in the fully open position or can I just keep unscrewing until they drop out? I could try it myself but I'd rather ask first than end up trying to screw them back in against a stream of water! Also it would be nice to know that they are open the correct amount.

I'm attempting to change the prv which is leaking. I can't find out much about the prv - but from Googling it looks as if I can open the valve fully by unscrewing the red cap by 90 degrees - is that right? So that would allow me to drain the boiler water through it?

Screwing the red cap fully closed still leaves it as a prv valve - is that right?

Again I'd rather ask that find I have damaged it in some way!

Cheers
James

Attachments

• px.jpg
    px.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 60
Hi

Thanks for the replies - second question(s) then.

If I screw in the screws in the two pipes, then I have isolated the water held in the boiler, is that right?

When I unscrew them are they retained in the fully open position or can I just keep unscrewing until they drop out? I could try it myself but I'd rather ask first than end up trying to screw them back in against a stream of water! Also it would be nice to know that they are open the correct amount.

I'm attempting to change the prv which is leaking. I can't find out much about the prv - but from Googling it looks as if I can open the valve fully by unscrewing the red cap by 90 degrees - is that right? So that would allow me to drain the boiler water through it?

Screwing the red cap fully closed still leaves it as a prv valve - is that right?

Again I'd rather ask that find I have damaged it in some way!

Cheers
James

theres a reason you cant find much about replace of the prv, sorry to say as you need to remove the case of the boiler, in turn requires you to be gas safe sorry to say

best bet is to find a local gas safe engy

For obvious reasons, we won't and can't help you fiddle with things that fall under strict laws, laws that are there to prevent people from blowing themselves, or other people up.

<tongue-in- cheek>We're not too fussed about them blowing themselves up - Darwin Award and all that. But it's the other people we're bothered about that didn't have a choice in the matter.</tongue-in-cheek>

UKPlumbersForums.co.uk is here for all types of plumbers. But to repair or install anything that requires you to comply with laws, you'll need to follow the correct procedure to prove you're competent (i.e. registered with Gas Safe and have a Gas Safe ID).

You're welcome to ask about water plumbing and whatnot. But lay off the Heating Engineer-related questions please. Carrying on may result in your account being restricted or suspended from the forum.

Get yourself a qualified Gas Safe engineer in. Not only will it save you time but money as well in the long run.

It is better you get yourself a has safe engineer to do the work. Obviously you are not, you wouldn't be asking what valves connected to the boiler do. Be safe not stupid.

Gas boiler and looking on YouTube is a recipe for disaster.
I've been working with someone who does oil, but if we come across someone who has gas, I don't even look at it, and I'm learning this stuff.
Seriously, don't!

• Agree
Reactions: Dan
Hi All

Many thanks for your replies and the dire warnings which I appreciate and understand, however your concerns seem to be based on a general - and justified - fear of gas and the 'qualification of GSR persons' rather than on an understanding of what needs to be done.

If you think about the Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) and understand what it does, then you will see two important things. Firstly it is in the WATER circuit of the CH system and isolated from any gas containing part of the boiler, secondly the PRV does NOT have to be mounted in the boiler at all - it's only in there to provide a 'complete' boiler package and ensure that one gets put into the system rather than to rely on an installer to put one in. The PRV could equally be mounted on any part of the CH circuit. So if it were mounted on the pipe to the Kitchen radiator then people would be replacing it without a care as they do with radiators.

I ask questions about the valves but not because I don't understand what they are or what they do, if you read my questions you will see that I have correctly identified their possible function/operation. I ask because a) My general experience tells me that I might come unstuck just turning screws willy-nilly and b) I only have one item to try stuff out on. If I had asked "dur woss dis lump of brass den?" you might well have cause for concern.

I know that the PRV is failing because the pressure keeps dropping over a long period of time. When the boiler fires the pressure doesn't get any higher than normal, and the decider is that I have collected small amounts of water coming from the PRV drain pipe and it is a clear pink - that can only be the inhibitor from the CH water.

I could go on by noting my personal qualifications which mean that I would sail through a Gas Safe Engineering course and I also note that I would be unlikely to start disconnecting gas pipes and checking them out with the flame from a lighter!

However I do realise that there are numpties out there and we shouldn't risk our loved ones by ignorant fiddling with Boilers so you can all relax as I am going to call out a qualified Gas Safe plumber and I also echo the warning - DON'T FIDDLE WITH THE BOILER - leave it to the man who knows what he is doing!

Cheers.

• Agree
When you buy a replacement PRV - buy 5 of them so you can keep changing every couple of weeks.

I won't explain why - you obviously know the answer.

Same advice here.

To take case off boiler you must be Gas Safe Registered

Enough said.

• Agree
This is an opportunity i wanted open up.

Please post the job in our forum and let one of our lads come take a look.

Looking for a Heating Engineer? Post Jobs Here

Our trusted advisors with the GSR badges are the ones to look out for when the enquiries come in. If at all we have a guy in your area available.

We'll have a searchable directory soon so hang in there people of the future reading this. But for OP, thanks for sticking around.

Nice not being cut off at first instant eh :D

op

its a room sealed gas boiler and you need to be gas safe to remove the cover, to get at the electrics, water , gas anything inside the boiler doesnt matter is your only working on the electrics still need to be gas safe if your removing the cover,

unless its a boiler with a separate chamber for the combustion parts (which yours isnt)

they pressure relief valve does have to be inside the boiler as your boiler has isolation valves to the system, only time it isnt is normally when an open vented boiler
is instilled onto a pressurized system

dont think your system water is clear pink unless your living in the usa (as they use antifreeze mix in there heating systems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is this screw for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got a Glowworm Flexicom 24hx boiler and I'm trying to unplug the installer cartridge in order to wire up the ebus connection inside. From what I've read, it should be possible to do this without opening the boiler, but there is limited access around the boiler and I'm struggling! From the...
Replies
Views
While having new French doors fitted where my window used to be, the windows fitters have come across a pipe that’s in the way. They stop work as unable to identify the pipe, does anyone know what this could be?
Replies
Views
Hi All As you can see from the attached pix, the flow control knob on my Bristan shower has broken. It was installed before I bought the house (possibly between 2015 and 2017) but I've no idea what model it is. Firstly, can anyone help me to identify it to see if I can get a replacement knob...
Replies
Views
L
  • Question
Hi, I am looking for type of connector to connect my tumble dryer drainage hose (Freestanding 9kg RapiDry Tumble Dryer B5T4923R) to my sink drainage. Sink currently has pipe available with an interlocking knob screw plug - what connector can i fit to then connect to 10mm drainage hose please?
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock