1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss What is this? And what does it do? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. Glyn Barr

    Glyn Barr New Member

    Hi all. I'm currently renovating a old 60's house and was rooting around under the floor boards and found this, see picture. It looks a bit tired and possibly due to fail but unsure what it is. I think it's too do with the heating system but not sure. Help!!!!!

  2. Glyn Barr

    Glyn Barr New Member

  3. Chuck

    Chuck Well-Known Member

    I'm not sure about this but my guess is that is the return manifold for an underfloor heating system. The corrosion on the outside is interesting in itself. It looks like dezincification, which has left the brass body porous and corrosion coated. (I suppose it could be paint that has photographed strangely.)

    The foam pipe insulation looks a bit more recent than the 1960s to me, 1980s perhaps.
  4. garygvl

    garygvl GSR

    old split manifold for flow and return microbore heating
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. garygvl

    garygvl GSR


    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. garygvl

    garygvl GSR

    ah well somehow managed to upload twice but it was easier to draw a picture of what i meant
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

    Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Looks like an old heating manifold. Lots were used for 10mm systems.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rob876

    Rob876 Member

    How long has microbore been around?
  9. quality

    quality Plumber GSR

    over 50 years
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Glyn Barr

    Glyn Barr New Member

    It must feed the radiators downstairs then as I don't have underfloor heating any where in the house. I'm no expert but it looks like it needs replacing.
    What would be a suitable replacement?
  11. Glyn Barr

    Glyn Barr New Member

    Maybe something like this.

  12. Harvest Fields

    Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    I’m no UFH specialist but, is that not an UFH manifold? You want one for heating.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. garygvl

    garygvl GSR

    Just make one
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

    I never used them. I always used fittings.
  15. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Just use 22mm by 10 or 8mm tees
Similar Threads - does Forum Date
Grundfos Alpha 2 does not self prime Central Heating Forum Yesterday at 8:45 AM
How does this tap and shower work????? Plumbing Forum Tuesday at 8:46 PM