Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss What is a reasonable quote for boiler replacement in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. reedwright

reedwright New Member

Our boilers on this side of the pond cost us as much as the installed price you all are tossing around here. WOW!

2. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Your houses tend to be much bigger, and southern British climate is not that cold.

My house is 720 sq ft of heated space split over two floors and is a centre-terrace, so it doesn't really need that much heat output. It's a small house, but not exceptionally so, and has, in fact, been extended. The original size was 480 sq ft, which is fairly typical for a small working-class British house.

Especially since the heating system is only designed to work really well down to an outside air temperature of -1°C (30°F). In practice, I did size the system with an allowance that one neighbour might be on holiday and leave the heating off, so still coping even though it is currently -8°C (or 18°F) outside. Were this weather typical winter weather, I would need a more powerful system.

Isn't it usual in the US to have a hot air heating system though rather than the typical wet systems employed in the UK? I'd have expected a boiler producing hot air to be more expensive. We tend to heat water and pipe that to heat emitters ('radiators') in each room.

Plus, a typical modern boiler lasts up to 10 years in the UK. Doesn't the US mentality reject anything that fails in so short a period of time?

3. reedwright

reedwright New Member

Ric, yes people do expect them to last 20 or so. And yes most of our boilers are 25 to 35kw. Our company specializes in boiler work. In fact we had a "corgi" (i think thats correct) working for us for 30 yrs plus up until this year.

4. DGT plumbing

DGT plumbing GSR

Perhaps we gas engineers should ask you how much you want to spend and what you expect for that and then we can tell you what you can really have. Why is it every week on this forum that there is a question like this on here. Is our reputation in the industry really that bad? Personally I think it probably is from some of the shoddy work that I have come across myself, although I'm in a small town with quiet a few very good engineers in it.

5. Vinod

Vinod New Member

Like for Like swap. I would say about £750-£900. Labour only with flush. Customer to provide all materials and do running around to get them.

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Plinking figures out of thin air :p:p:p:D:rolleyes: