Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss What is a black pipe BS1972 we have found 4 inches below ground in our garden? in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. happle26

happle26 New Member

Hi,
    Please could someone provide any advice on what a black pipe with Tenaplas Ltd BS1972 on it, could be? Do you think it is a water pipe, rather than any other utilities? (e.g. telephone, electricity, etc...)
    We have found it 4in below our garden (we haven't unearthed all of it yet), so don't know where it starts or ends....who can we contact to obtain information on what this is for, is it still in use, and how can we move it?
    Hope this all makes sense - I have posted a photo of it, in case this helps identify it.
    Thank you for any advice anyone can give.
    upload_2019-6-13_12-30-46.png
    upload_2019-6-13_12-30-59.png

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Could be elec

Garden shed outside lights?

3. happle26

happle26 New Member

thank you for your quick reply...I really don't know - we moved into the house 2 years ago and am not aware of any electrics going outside...we want to build an extension - hence why we have started to clear the ground.
    I've put in a request to SEB to take a look as well. When I have googled BS1972 I see lots about it being a water pipe - so thats why I thought maybe someone on here may have seen this before.
    Thanks for your thoughts

4. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

You were quite right to contact
    UKPF we always try to help
    This is probably not a water or gas pipe. I would lift the exposed section higher and see if you can make it break, it might be brittle. turn you lecky off and break into it. In situations like this I would just turn lecky off and then set fire to it and see what happens
    Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Quick Google says:

BS. 1972 is for above ground or pipe and cold services.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. happle26

happle26 New Member

Thank you - yes that is what I have found...

"BS 1972: Polythene pipe (Type 32) for above ground use for cold water services"

"This pipe is coloured black for above ground use only and conforms to imperial sizes. The standard has effectively been replaced by BS 6730 and may be withdrawn"

Well this definitely wasn't above ground - or at least it isn't now...it may have started it's life as above ground and someone thought it would be useful to bury it??

Who would manage 'cold water services'?

7. happle26

happle26 New Member

Thanks for your advice - I'm not sure I feel comfortable enough to just turn the electrics off,break it and set fire to it and see what happens - but thank you for your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

9. happle26

happle26 New Member

Thanks - am just about to go out and brave the rain for a bit and try and trace it out a bit more....am hoping that I'll come to a deadend where it has been cut at some point and just left in the ground....fingers crossed, will let you all know if I find anything else

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

I'm fairly certain it's what's called Black Alkathene which is marked with that standard. It was used a lot for water services where I am and also commonly used to sleeve sections of underground oil lines too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

What is in either direction of the ends ?

Going back in time people thought it was a good idea to use such pipes to run twin and earth in!

12. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

That is also what I was thinking.
    The 3/8” black alkathene was perfect for sleeving 10mm copper oil lines

13. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

How old is the house ?
    Approx what direction is the pipe running i.e. to or from the house ?

At that sort of depth it is unlikely to be mains water as it would be subject to freezing.

Could be an old temporary supply for the building site is house in not that old.

14. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Are you actually serious ?- you didn't add a smiley

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. happle26

happle26 New Member

So I tried to unearth some more but it just kept going so I called the SEB to say we had found this pipe/cable after digging. The lady then went into panic mode and said that she was treating it as a damaged electrical cable and would send an engineer this afternoon and to ensure that everyone stays more than 5m from it!! (I suppose better to be safe than sorry). Anyway a lovely man came out and as soon as he looked at it, he said that is not one of ours. He also put a CAT over it and confirmed there are no electric cables nearby for us to worry about. He has suggested it was an old water pipe that is probably not used anymore (which I know others have suggested), he has also suggested that we just cut a hole in the top so we can see. So think that will be our next step - hopefully it is redundant and we can ignor/remove it and continue with our building work.

Will let you all know once we’ve cut into it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

• Like Like x 2