Search the forum,

Discuss What are your thoughts? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Deleted member 32524

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello. Went to look at a job today. Non GSR has taken boiler off wall and left it on floor of OAP's flat. Originally a eco deal install approx 15m of pipe in 15mm 25 kw vokera and a hob. Needs gas line upgrade. Problem is 1st 3m from meter is in a wall void with compression fittings. Old lady trying to sell flat and does not want me to knock wall down to get at pipework. Not really too happy about the leaveing 1st 3 m in 15mm and upgrade rest to 28mm to get pressures as close as I can, but those fittings in a void. Was NCS but this is not a new install and not changing location and technically it is the installation of a second hand appliance. thoughts.....

Yeah. My gut is telling me to walk away. Just feel very very sorry for this old woman who lives in a rough scheme in glasgow clearly does not have a pot to Sod in. Some eco deal installer has fired it in on probably an old existing gas line never bothered to upgrade it. Never right in the first place with other faults like no prv line fitted, mounted on a plaster wall built in victorian times now hanging off wall, outside wall not sealed etc. Then some dafty comes in and says I can do that Mrs and takes it off wall leaves an open end on gas line still live to hob and just the valve shut over. Then leaves her high and dry and dissappears.

‘‘Tis okay to run 28 after 15 if you get the pressure loss down to 1mb, which may be unlikely. Without checking, I would say comps in wall is NCS. You are not working on the pipe in the wall so still NCS.

Make sure you note the deficiency on your invoice or job report, IMO.

How do you know about the comps?

Was composing this as you made last post

Do you think she might qualify for another boiler? she has no heating or hot water or even an operational boiler. It's on the floor.

I have already done a tightness test, removed boiler gas iso valve and replaced with a cap. Just she is has repeatedly said she will not take it down. It is a strange one. Riddor who thought? No idea who installed it. Nothing in benchmark or anywhere to let me know who put it in.

‘‘Tis okay to run 28 after 15 if you get the pressure loss down to 1mb, which may be unlikely. Without checking, I would say comps in wall is NCS. You are not working on the pipe in the wall so still NCS.

Make sure you note the deficiency on your invoice or job report, IMO.

How do you know about the comps?

Was composing this as you made last post

The meter is in bathroom up high, 15mm off meter and followed it took off an air vent and could see compression fittings in wall void, it is pretry big void. Not like ran in a stud.

I am just goin to quote me happy and price the job to be done right not leave me wide open to a kick in the bum. I suppose it is not my problem she is poor and I need to look after me. Still going to look in to maybe getting help from somewhere for her.

They are inappropriate fittings in an un-ventilated void.

The right thing is to cap it at the Meter or prior to the void with her permission of course and then take it from there.

You know the unsafe situations procedure so I would follow it.

Ask her permission to disconnect, then do it if she gives permission and get a warning notice signed.

If she refuses to give permission, fill in a warning notice in and get it signed, then hand it over to Nat grid/Transco etc. and take down the reference number.

If she refuses to sign then hand it over to Nat grid /Transco and take the reference number.

I would be polite and helpful in a situation like this and do all I can to make her safe and advise her accordingly. However, this is not your fault and it is not your fault that she is hard up financially.

You sound like you have thought all that already and have your head screwed on so crack on and follow your gut instincts.

Spoke to the energy saving trust and she wil most likely qualify for a grant for a boiler to be installed. Went to her flat and gave her number to phone and someone will be out in the next few days to assess the situation and hopefully sort her out with a new, correctly installed boiler. Left her my workings for pipe sizing so she has information on that and a wee sample of 28mm and 22mm copper. Also a full explanation of the void and what should happen with it. Meter is also a little high up and awkward for an OAP so SGN too assess that too.
Still dissapointed in whoever installed it in the first place. What plonkers and for the idot who took it off was non GSR and vanished.(Maybe a blessing) Thank God it is not winter and she has an electric shower

Reply to What are your thoughts? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock