Search the forum,

Discuss Whale Pump and Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I live in Housing Association property and 10 years ago, they installed a wet room for me. They installed an electric shower and there is a water sensor on my cold feed, to kick in the shower waste pump.

Over the years, the water flow on the shower has deteriorated, and they would not install a new shower for me, so I decided to install a mixer shower. The electric one (for the time being) is still installed and working.

The problem I have is that the water waste pump is not working when I use the mixer shower. I have taken the cold feed for the mixer shower after the water sensor, so cannot see any logical reason why the waste pump will not kick in. The waste pump works fine on the electric shower.

Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions.

Hello,

It depends on if the flow sensor is connected to your pump via the shower, sometimes called a whale instantmatch pump. Have you since tried the electric shower to see if that still pumps? If it doesn’t it could be the flow sensor or even the transformer bit could be from your shower, it’s been a while since I worked on them.
Also you may need an additional flow sensor as the pump may struggle with the demand as it’s designed to pump at a certain flow rate.

Thanks for your response. The waterflow sensor is connected directly to the pump. There are only two wires coming out of the pump. Twin and Earth (for the power) which is connected via my extractor fan and the water flow sensor.

The pump works fine if I turn the electric shower on.

Electric shower still installed ?

If so how have you connected the flow switch to the new mixer shower ?

Yes, the electric is still installed and working.

I just tapped in to the cold water feed after the water sensor.

When I can work out what is happening with the sensor, I will just cap off when I removed the electric piping.

14icwso.jpg

Last edited:
whats with the pressure reducing valve? below the white overflow pipe

I thought that was a filter. That pipe carries on to the electric shower.

Thats maybe why your having bad pressure on your elec shower

Turn the mixer shower fully cold eg lowest temp does the pump kick in

Got to the bottom of it. If I turn my combi water temperature to max and set the shower to cold, the pump kicks in.

I will move the sensor over to the hot pipe, and try and order another sensor for the cold pipe.

Got to the bottom of it. If I turn my combi water temperature to max and set the shower to cold, the pump kicks in.

I will move the sensor over to the hot pipe, and try and order another sensor for the cold pipe.

i would try moving the sensor to the hot pipe as this uses more water than the cold

as it unit might not support two sensors etc

Yes, I have taken the cover off and it does not support two sensors.

I have the Hydro Logic Dual pump. It does look like you can adjust the waste flow. There are some jumper settings.

No PDF of instructions to be found.

I thought it was, I was mistaken. It was Hydro Logic Dual (who no longer seem to be in the residential pump business).

Anyway playing with the jumper settings, I have managed to increase the flow, put the sensor on the hot water and everything is working.

Thanks ago for all your help. Very much appreciated.

Reply to Whale Pump and Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock