Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Whale Pump and Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

Hi

I live in Housing Association property and 10 years ago, they installed a wet room for me. They installed an electric shower and there is a water sensor on my cold feed, to kick in the shower waste pump.

Over the years, the water flow on the shower has deteriorated, and they would not install a new shower for me, so I decided to install a mixer shower. The electric one (for the time being) is still installed and working.

The problem I have is that the water waste pump is not working when I use the mixer shower. I have taken the cold feed for the mixer shower after the water sensor, so cannot see any logical reason why the waste pump will not kick in. The waste pump works fine on the electric shower.

Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions.

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR

Hello,

It depends on if the flow sensor is connected to your pump via the shower, sometimes called a whale instantmatch pump. Have you since tried the electric shower to see if that still pumps? If it doesn’t it could be the flow sensor or even the transformer bit could be from your shower, it’s been a while since I worked on them.
    Also you may need an additional flow sensor as the pump may struggle with the demand as it’s designed to pump at a certain flow rate.

3. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

Thanks for your response. The waterflow sensor is connected directly to the pump. There are only two wires coming out of the pump. Twin and Earth (for the power) which is connected via my extractor fan and the water flow sensor.

The pump works fine if I turn the electric shower on.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Electric shower still installed ?

If so how have you connected the flow switch to the new mixer shower ?

5. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

Yes, the electric is still installed and working.

I just tapped in to the cold water feed after the water sensor.

When I can work out what is happening with the sensor, I will just cap off when I removed the electric piping.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  6. ShaunCorbs

whats with the pressure reducing valve? below the white overflow pipe

7. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

I thought that was a filter. That pipe carries on to the electric shower.

8. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

You will need another flow sensor on the hot water and one on the cold

• Like Like x 1
  9. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

10. ShaunCorbs

Thats maybe why your having bad pressure on your elec shower

Turn the mixer shower fully cold eg lowest temp does the pump kick in

11. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Bet your bottom dollar the filterbin that PRV is choca. Lucky its so accessible...

12. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

Got to the bottom of it. If I turn my combi water temperature to max and set the shower to cold, the pump kicks in.

I will move the sensor over to the hot pipe, and try and order another sensor for the cold pipe.

13. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

I really appreciate all your help. Thanks very much.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShaunCorbs

i would try moving the sensor to the hot pipe as this uses more water than the cold

as it unit might not support two sensors etc

15. PennineAcute

PennineAcute New Member

Yes, I have taken the cover off and it does not support two sensors.

I have the Hydro Logic Dual pump. It does look like you can adjust the waste flow. There are some jumper settings.

No PDF of instructions to be found.