Search the forum,

Discuss Welding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on31ll

How hard is it to learn ? I know how lings a piece of string etc. but is i wanted to learn to weld say 3in pipe can it be self taught ?

Commence the laughter.

3 inch pipe as in the exhausts fell off my pure mental turbo 1.0L vauxhall corsa - yes self learn.
Buy more than you need, practice.

3 inch pipe as in to convey flammable pressurised something.
Need to be coded

Last edited by a moderator:
Choose your face protection wisely.

wFAIL.jpg

Sorry, had to post this. :smile5: :90:

It took me 18 months of one night a week to get to test standard on Arc

As said it depends what you want to weld, mig welding is easy, providing the welder is a good one. Arc welding is a bit old hat these days .
I have never tried tig but my mate says it's just a step up from mig welding.

now proper welding, is gas welding a brand new sill on to a rusty floor pan of a old rusty wreck of a car, lying on your back with hot molten under seal dripping in your ear. Setting fire to your skin....... Piece of ****, those were the days.

Yes of course you can learn yourself, it's exceptionally time consuming to get to a standard before you can tell people you are a welder.

I would advise asking around people you know (someone must know a welder) see if you can go spend some time with them first then look into a college course to work your way to ASME9 or class 1 or class 2. Only really need these if your going to weld pressure vessels, gas, steam Etc, if you're just welding for some lphw then there is no need to be coded.

As for method, we only really use TIG on stainless and then ARC on steel. Companies worth anything will not allow you to MIG pipework

Or on bigger pipework you would TIG a route pass and then stick the rest of the welds

Mig is for girls. I'm learning arc. It's hard. Get an auto mask and some decent rods. Burn the first box of rods running beads. Then join flat plate. 3" is a long way off.

Mig is for girls. I'm learning arc. It's hard. Get an auto mask and some decent rods. Burn the first box of rods running beads. Then join flat plate. 3" is a long way off.

Arc found easier than mig
Tig is just arc /soldering for the digital generation ;)
If you can solder nicely /lead weld ...tig n arc is easier (imho)

As above. Auto darkening is a must makes it so much easier. It will become second nature- just stick with it. As I say I've never had a company let me mig weld pipe work (freehand)

Chers lads think im gonna blow some money on a welder. Be a new hobby i guess. Nowwww anybody know what to look for in a welder just to practice with for now ?

There are loads of ARC inverter welders on the market mate. If its only for hobby useage don't spend more than ÂŁ300.

As said it depends what you want to weld, mig welding is easy, providing the welder is a good one. Arc welding is a bit old hat these days .
I have never tried tig but my mate says it's just a step up from mig welding.

now proper welding, is gas welding a brand new sill on to a rusty floor pan of a old rusty wreck of a car, lying on your back with hot molten under seal dripping in your ear. Setting fire to your skin....... Piece of ****, those were the days.

can only agree with you!.

when it goes down you ear-hole you know about it.lol

op needs a mig welder its the easy way to start.
dc. arc is easier than ac as its constant current and easier to flash.
tigs bloody expensive set up.

and bottles...well! i blew myself up when i was 17 with those just the once mind! when i was a pipe fitter at raleigh (got an un lighted quantity into a pipe). evacuated the whole building.lol

So start with mig or arc ?

mig..

take you about 3-4 days to weld effectively with some guidence.
arc will take about 3-4 months to learn properly. dc might be shorter as its easier to get a weld going.

Gas is easier for me for some reason and i can always get a better weld although i can make a half reasonable arc as my brother taught me the basics when he worked in trunk trailers.
Maybe i just know what to look for with gas. Never tried mig or tig.

I really don't see the point of starting mig? If you want to learn to weld pipe then it's next to useless, if you can Arc then within a couple of hours you'll be able to MIG.

Arc really isn't that difficult at all. You just have more to think about than with mig.

Loads of stuff on youtube Etc. Never really read too much literature on it as the only way you will really improve is through trial and error/ practise.

You wanting to learn TIG?

If tig get an inverter arc that can be used for tig

Second this and then can be used as a plamsa cutter :66:

How's your welding coming along Ermintrude? I remember a post a little while ago about you blasting the crap outta some cylinders? You a millionaire yet? :happy:

got my dads old farm arc welder in the garage still, pull it out occasionally to join bits together. Secret of arc welding or gas welding is preparation as ever, clean metal and ensure its feathered to get best weld and most important of all keep your rods warm n dry, or youll never get decent weld. Last time I had a go, all the neighbours ended up winging as I seemed to use up all the available current in the road, dimmed light tv picture ruined :) they didnt catch on it was muggins trying to dry out his wet rods by wacking up the amps.

Best welding I have ever seen was by 2 coded lads off the subs who came to the station to reweld our stainless steel keel back on. You could only just see the joints, amazing stuff

Ay good reading materials thats meant to say !

I have done most welding tig, gas etc. I would not say I am a professional but I can weld to a good standard using any method (mig is really easy). the best advice I was told was to relax and not be tense. Bit like soldering really

I've burned some massive holes. Reverted to using small rods on thin steel it's difficult but fugue once I can it's going to be easy on bigger stuff.

turn down the amps. The bigger the better- its easier. you can grind and go round more times lol

Youve got to keep the weld puddle moving.
As said. Amps, speed and observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Welding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock