Search the forum,

Discuss Weird boiler setup in house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,
I have recently moved into a 4 bed house (standard terraced Victorian property with a loft conversion in the Kingston area). There are two showers - one in the loft and one on the first floor and radiators in each room.

There is a glow worm boiler in the kitchen (pic 6) which seems to have two valves fitted (pic 7) and an external thermostat (pic 8). There is also a button/panel which sometimes comes on (pic 8) - I am assuming this is an override switch or something.

In the loft there is what looks like a megaflow (pic 4) as well as an immersion heater or something (pic 2) and a pump (pic 3)
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

I don't understand why there are so many boilers and am wondering whether we can lose the setup in the loft as its bloody noisy and takes up a lot of room.

I've attached pictures, but if someone can explain why we have so many bits of kit that would be really handy - three plumbers have come out, scratched their heads and gone away again. One plumber came back and said there's nothing that can be done as it will be to do with low water pressure?

There is no pic.8 and only one boiler. As to the rest of your Q`s I`ll leave that to others to walk you through what you have there.
Imersion heaters are useful when the gas boiler doesn`t want to play.

ok thanks scott_d and rpm - is it possible to shift the whole lot down to the kitchen somehow (ie getting a megaflow installed and swapping the mains shower in the loft for an electric shower)?

That's an option Riley - or we could move this setup elsewhere? Is there an option to stuff everything in the kitchen and just have a pump in the loft? Or is this just going to be bloody expensive..

If you have the funds then you can do what ever you want but I wouldnt have thought moving that lot will be cheap. If you move the whole setup then performance at the showers will not suffer. Just FYI you cannot Put a pump on the set up you have

Ok no probs - so its not just a question of getting a bigger boiler to cope with two showers? Its just that our neighbours don't have a problem with low pressure so I'm wondering whether all this gear in the loft is just to feed the shower up there or whether it serves the whole house

It will give you a balanced hot and cold performance at every outlet I would imagine.

If you are talking the combi route they are not designed to run two showers at the same time and you would definitely not get as good a performance . The setup you currently have Will give you the best performance when running two or more outlets at that same time.
I guess the only other thing you could do would be to run a new water main in possibly from the road all the way to where the hot water cylinder is then you could do away with the booster cylinder

I think your best option is to engage the services of an experienced heating engineer who can come round and give you Options

How do you mean?? Megaflow is a brand it’s another version of the RM Stelflow cylinder that you already have. Megaflow and RM are brands. A lot of builders call all unvented cylinders megaflow

I think so - we have a combi in the kitchen which serves the hot water/CH and the setup in the loft fills the gap when water pressure fails - is this right or have i got it completely wrong?

Okay that is a combi boiler however it sounds like it’s been adapted to heat the hot water cylinder in the loft. We can work out what it feeds fairly simply. There should be five main copper pipes coming down from the bottom of the boiler from left to right it should be Flow, hot water, gas, cold water, return. I noticed from one of your pictures that the hot water pipe may well be capped off is that the case.

The simple answer is you need the boiler as this provides the heat source for the Stelflow to heat your hot water

No I never said it couldn’t be moved just based on the install you will need the boiler cylinder and booster Still so I would suggest it would be prohibitively expensive unless you are planning other works. Only you know what you can afford though

TBH I would look at sound proofing else your looking at a min of spending around 3k to move all that

Depends what that supplies do you have a bath in the loft ?

TBH I would get rid of the combi and move all the kit downstairs acceptable to you maybe upgrade the cylinder l depending on existing size etc

do we need the combi boiler in the kitchen, or can we just get a water heater for the hot water cylinder?
The boiler will be heating your radiators and hit water. What will provide heat if you get rid of it!

I think you are confusing yourself

Reply to Weird boiler setup in house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we would like to relocate it to the laundry room or loft, so a new gas line needs to be run. I would prefer someone local in Norwich that can also do the...
Replies
Views
H
Hi all I am just after a bit of advice. I'm buying a new house with a downstairs bathroom. I can not see a vent pipe on the outside of the property or an AAV in the loft. It's a terraced house, so thought maybe it shares the neighbours vent stack? It look like all the waste pipes go down...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock