Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Weir flow cup results in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Bogart

Bogart Member

Wanting to ascertain the flow rate from various taps and have seen this Weir flow cup thing. Will that give me different. or more accurate, figures of flow rate than timing a delivery into a marked container? Latter seems an easy obvious solution without resorting to spending £20 on a gizmo.

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Weir in my opinion is the best. I do not use anything else for litres/m

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

I don't think anything can be more accurate than timing fill of a container with known size but the weir cup allows you to read flow rate with the least hassle and waste of water. Accurate to within 1 or 2 litres per minute. My weir cup goes up to 24 lpm anything above that and you've likely got enough flow for any domestic situation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

If it's a one off, save the money. Use a bucket.
    Or a litre jug and time how long in seconds it takes to fill it. Divide the time in seconds into 60 to give litres per minute.
    The weir cup is great if you test on a regular basis. I use them more as an indication really. Some taps are hard to gauge by sight. Due to the diffuser in the end they can appear to run at a higher flow than they actually are doing. If I wanted to measure accurately, I would use a container.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Bogart

Bogart Member

Am getting 8l/min in kitchen tap, is a naff tap though and 16l/min on
    bath tap.

6. Bogart

Bogart Member

Am using one of wifes measuring jugs holds 2.5 litres.

7. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Is this just for fun or is there a purpose behind your task?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What tap is it? Is there a filter on the end that you can unscrew and is the tap on flexi connectors?

9. Bogart

Bogart Member

No filter in the spout, not on flexible pipes . It is just an old tap that is soon to be replaced anyway.

10. Bogart

Bogart Member

Am thinking of getting one of these
    Inta - ActivFlo
    Whish list quite specific minimum and maximum flow rates for different sizes.

11. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Ah!
    Not a problem I have here with my customers as we have very soft water, very good water.
    I can't offer any advice on that i'm afraid.

12. Bogart

Bogart Member

You are lucky to have soft water. Makes life easier now lead piping is history.

13. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Now lead work I do know about lol. Blows my mind how in the local colleges they no longer teach 'Plumbers' to do Lead-work!!
    How times change.
    Will we need to change the name?

• Like Like x 3