Search the forum,

Discuss Weather compensation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A query that comes to mind.

What do you do if you’re installing outdoor temperature compensation with a conventional system – heat-only or system boiler with diverter valve and HW cylinder?

As the boiler flow temperature is reduced by the outdoor temperature compensation it could be too low to heat the HW cylinder, so having both CH and HW together, using a mid-position valve (Honeywell system Y) doesn’t work. (Unless more features are added e.g. allow mid-position operation when the boiler flow temperature setpoint (via the outdoor controller) is say 5° higher than likely maximum cylinder stat setting.)

On a new installation, am I right thinking you would use an either/or diverter valve, with HW preference?

In a case of retrofitting outdoor temperature compensation, if the system has a mid-position valve, how would it be handled?

As I believe mid-position diverter valves are nowadays much more common than either/or, and the latest regs require outdoor temperature (and even weather, via the internet) compensation, I would guess this situation has been considered.

Similar, but slightly different problem with two 2-port valves instead of a diverter.

Personally I'd use an "S" plan. Because:

1. You need separate times for heating and hot water.
2. I find the two ports (generally use Honeywell) more reliable and longer lasting than three ports.
3. I find the wiring is simpler.

Just Swop Mid position for a diverter.
Converted my existing S plan wiring so I could install a Viessmann heat only with WC a few years back just needed a Horstmann Channelplus programmer.

This is why BoilerPlus just applies to combi's but I think it should be all boilers!!
Discuss......

Reply to Weather compensation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know of a weather compensation unit that can be fitted to a cylinder? I have an Ideal Logic Max H24 which heats a thermal store. The boiler can take an Ideal weather compensation unit to raise the target flow temperature as the outside temperature drops, but the store temperature...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm new here so go canny with me. Hoping that someone can help with the following concerning weather comp, it is a Worcester Bosch comfort+ll control and in the menu it asks to set these values.These are what my thoughts are, are these correct. I am aiming for around 20c for the room...
Replies
Views
Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below I think is similar to the TIO Mixing unit. In the unit below, the hot (boiler) water enters from the bottom left, red arrow, up through the "mixing...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get warmer than others despite closing off the skirting radiator heat vent. They are designed to house the finned heating pipe and a return pipe, the latter...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock