Search the forum,

Discuss Wear And Tear Causing Leaks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is there such a thing as "wear and tear" causing joints in a new heating installation to leak within two years? As in infrequent heating and cooling of the water in the pipes causing expansion and contraction of joints?

The rest of the story is my long thread in here of October 2016 with the subject "Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with air".

Two years later the cause of this saga was found to be a leak in the plumbing. That leak only became obvious after around three major heating/cooling cycles when the biomass heating system was switched off each summer because central heating was not required during the warmest months of the year.

The plumber now claims that the leaks were to be expected due to "wear and tear". In my opinion the installation was not fit for purpose, in that it started leaking after only a relatively short period of time since new.

Here is an photo of the main leak, in a cupboard which is not opened often. There are photos of the main part of the system 80 metres away in my thread "Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with air" of Ictober 2016.

IMG_20180904_121553.jpg

Here is an photo of the main leak, in a cupboard which is not opened often. There are photos of the main part of the system 80 metres away in my thread "Pressure drops when 650 litre buffer tank is filled with water but no drop with air" of Ictober 2016.

View attachment 38356
uck chking...but thats being growing for a long time, do you
never service that mag filter yourself ? its also brown rather than
black which means you have an on going leak in your system
the colour tells all...chking Tf1 is a good unit ...I designed part of it

View attachment 38356

Well can’t argue about that being a bad leak! :eek:
The final joints on the valves to the filter body are rubber washers and shouldn’t leak if nuts are properly tightened. They are awkward on the Fernox filter and wouldn’t surprise me if the nuts weren’t fully tight

But does beg the question why no service carried out as that would’ve been found a damnsite sooner

The system was serviced annually by the supplier/installer.

During the hundreds of hours spent trying to identify the original loss of pressure without success, this particular leak was not obvious.

I serviced that TF1 myself once and was found to be clean. It was also serviced annually by the supplier/installer/plumber.

The brown could be a result of the buffer tank being emptied filled heated emptied multiple times over serveral weeks, obviously having lost the inhibitor in the process. The inhibitor has been replenished twice since then as the saga unfolded.

I serviced that TF1 myself once and was found to be clean. It was also serviced annually by the supplier/installer/plumber.

The brown could be a result of the buffer tank being emptied filled heated emptied multiple times over serveral weeks, obviously having lost the inhibitor in the process. The inhibitor has been replenished twice since then as the saga unfolded.

theres more than a few moths there i would say 2 years plus

That’s as maybe but that’s a lot of staining for 2 years. I’d say it’s been leaking from day one. Irrespective of who cleaned it it should’ve been picked up. Also if a search for a leak was carried out the common sense approach is to visually inspect ALL pipework on show before you start worrying about in walls or under floors.

I hope the leaking lid wasn’t yours
No way , Api 20o6 only ever designed the in and out port
ports to this type of mag unit,
we did a few in the late 90's
and maybe advised on the magnets....and the stainers
for non mag stuff. Basically
designing these things was simple ...a bit like tuning an engine...high performance petrol unit which we were familiar with , but it was fun...the worst one at that time was Magnaclean by Mr Adey...whom I hope is. £ m fella. He was lucky ..BG bought it
he got paid off ..happy days ..then after all the problems including
being de..listed by BG they bounced back ...throw money at it and this unit is the highest selling volume domestic mag filter in Europe now.
centralheatking

Last edited:
No way , Api 20o6 only ever designed the in and out port
ports to this type of mag unit,
we did a few in the late 90's
and maybe advised on the magnets....and the stainers
for non mag stuff. Basically
designing these things was simple ...a bit like tuning an engine...high performance petrol unit which we were familiar with , but it was fun
centralheatking
so it is partly one of yours:p:p:p

The photo of the TF1 above was taken on 04 Sep 2018.

This photo was taken on 08 Aug 2016 during the period of the failed investigation into the loss of pressure. See the TF1 area in question on the left. The area below the topmost red valve looks suspiciously brown?

IMG_20160808_232938.jpg

Last edited:
TF1’s are known to have problems. Especially once fitted for a couple of years. You only have to knock the black body and the valves leak. Plus they are both in a terrible location. (Also, why do you have 2?) Was that cupboard and shelving built after the installation works were completed? Also check all the paperwork as they may have noted the condition of them on the CP12. If I had done a service it would be on the CP12

TF1’s are known to have problems. Especially once fitted for a couple of years. You only have to knock the black body and the valves leak. Plus they are both in a terrible location. (Also, why do you have 2?) Was that cupboard and shelving built after the installation works were completed? Also check all the paperwork as they may have noted the condition of them on the CP12. If I had done a service it would be on the CP12

Primary and secondary sides of the plate

The best mag filter we were involved with was Centramag
by Trappex... its a smashing unit...not mine but Shaz 's great
quality strong magnet and a fine none mag filter. centralheatking

Reply to Wear And Tear Causing Leaks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock