Search the forum,

Discuss We have all been there on this one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
This scenario is up there with my major rants .

Round trip of 28 miles through major traffic to tuther side of Sadford this morning , and I HAVE TO GO BACK , opened a sealed box and wrong part was in the box Grrrrrr.
Plumbs opened a new box and gave me the correct part I now have to go find time and go back . Obviously its not the customers fault its not my fault , its the manufacturers fault but I end up doing it for free .

It happens regularly, wrong part , part missing , broken or faulty part etc etc
Have any of you taken these matters further regarding sending invoices/legal proceedings or just “ put it down to experience “ .

I think I know the answer .
Cheers boys UTT

Really we should take it further as we lose time and money but I never do always moan at the merchants but never get anywhere with them.

This kind of stuff goes with our
job. Employed fellas just jump back in the truck Self Employed
notice the costs, diesel, time, opportunity cost thats why we have to charge realistic prices that cover screw ups. whoose fault it matters not, its our job to get it right, if you feel like it
kick the cat when you get home
and have a beer and reflect that YOU own your own business
Been at it 41 years now and would do it all again. and its
P.O.E.T.S. day after all
have a good weekend
centralheatking

Sounds like my day :D

Combi swap due to busted hex builders ordered materials I picked them up yesterday

Get to site cus says boilers in garage think great

Open the door and see a heat only boiler (old halstead)

So there’s me scratching around trying to find a heat only

All done tho

FF5E0B33-DAD4-404F-8F11-F52DC6A27A3B.jpeg

this problem today was Macalpine, 100% their fault I am going to send them an invoice , do you think they will pay it ?

Nope bet it doesn’t even get past the rep I would try for free stuff eg pan connectors etc

this problem today was Macalpine, 100% their fault I am going to send them an invoice , do you think they will pay it ?
I have the email for the northern area sales manager
for Mc Alpine Plumbing Products ..in fact he and I met at Formby Hall a few weeks ago
centralheatking

Would you like myself to mediate ?

Sounds like my day :D

Combi swap due to busted hex builders ordered materials I picked them up yesterday

Get to site cus says boilers in garage think great

Open the door and see a heat only boiler (old halstead)

So there’s me scratching around trying to find a heat only

All done tho

View attachment 39157
did you run out of clips doing the condensate:D

did you run out of clips doing the condensate:D

:D yes actually used my last 22mm clip on the middle part

Must say I’m not a fan of the ideal condy connection tho

I have the email for the northern area sales manager
for Mc Alpine Plumbing Products ..in fact he and I met at Formby Hall a few weeks ago
centralheatking

Would you like myself to mediate ?

May do Rob thank you , it wasnt just this mornings cock up , its a huge problem we all have , its more I wonder what would actually happen if one of us actually went the whole way and took a manufacturer to court .
Naturally we all just “ leave it “ , and stomach it because its not worth the bother .
I will be ok later on with a few JD’s down me lol .

May do Rob thank you , it wasnt just this mornings cock up , its a huge problem we all have , its more I wonder what would actually happen if one of us actually went the whole way and took a manufacturer to court .
Naturally we all just “ leave it “ , and stomach it because its not worth the bother .
I will be ok later on with a few JD’s down me lol .
My offer is honest and truely meant chking enjoy ur Jack D's
pm me if you like over the weekend chk

Had this myself the other day. Ordered a flush valve from v&b, went to the job and unboxed to find a fill valve :rolleyes:, Luckily I still get paid either way but if I ever decide to go self employed it would annoy the hell out me.
In terms of complaining. Send a few emails or even a letter on recorded delivery and see where it gets you. No point spending to long on it though as your likely just wasting more time at your expense.

This type of stuff has been going on for years, I hate leakers, rads, brand new , tested but the sealed seam is not good..end result..take it off
take it back, refit test and its ok
but will the manu pay no chance, my local plumbers merchant ...no chance except swap it....we have no choice just suck it up and have a moan on here ..Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Jon. Simply do an invoice to your supplier. Your contract is with them. At very least they learn to check your stuff - they make a margin make em work for it.

Ive done it many many times and only once failed to get paid out. So long as you do it professionally they dont care. All you need do is give them all the other times youve lost out. They need your business.

There's a funny thing with suppliers - some of them think they have you for life...

I just stop using them for a period if they pi$$ me off.

It often takes a little while, but you end up getting a phone call from a Manager or Rep, asking if you've been on holidays or something because the account hasn't been used for the last couple or few weeks.

Jon. Simply do an invoice to your supplier. Your contract is with them. At very least they learn to check your stuff - they make a margin make em work for it.

Ive done it many many times and only once failed to get paid out. So long as you do it professionally they dont care. All you need do is give them all the other times youve lost out. They need your business.

Cheers Dave , defo going to invoice them , no idea if they will pay , watch this space .

There's a funny thing with suppliers - some of them think they have you for life...

I just stop using them for a period if they pi$$ me off.

It often takes a little while, but you end up getting a phone call from a Manager or Rep, asking if you've been on holidays or something because the account hasn't been used for the last couple or few weeks.
I know what you mean, I was wronged by plumb center 10 solid years ago and I'm only half way through my grudge.

I know what you mean, I was wronged by plumb center 10 solid years ago and I'm only half way through my grudge.

General Rule over here.
Plumbers only hold grudges for 7 years.
( but that's only against another plumber )
Which reminds me, I must call a couple of plumbers to either end grudges or have a 'blue' and extend the grudges for another 7 years.

I can't remember what the grudges were over, but they were worth it.
7 odd years of peace.

General Rule over here.
Plumbers only hold grudges for 7 years.
( but that's only against another plumber )
Which reminds me, I must call a couple of plumbers to either end grudges or have a 'blue' and extend the grudges for another 7 years.

I can't remember what the grudges were over, but they were worth it.
7 odd years of peace.
and Plumbers ALWAYS hold grudges against Electricians for ever and without reason if necessary. Centralheatking

Rob,
You're being overly selective and specific with that statement.
( or should I say - speak for yourself )

Plumbers have the right to hold grudges against anyone without reason.

We over here have a rule of 7 years against another plumber.
No one else is included in the 7 year rule.

Rob,
You're being overly selective and specific with that statement.
( or should I say - speak for yourself )

Plumbers have the right to hold grudges against anyone without reason.

We over here have a rule of 7 years against another plumber.
No one else is included in the 7 year rule.
Mind you in my experience running sites over the years its
usually the decorators that cause fights because they are bored and wound the labourers up , saying stuff like that other fella over there has been with your woman...next thing mayhem with our gangers wading in to keep the peace
centralheatking

If we all did that, then they would go bankrupt in a matter of months..
McAlpine are a very good Uk based company with an extensive network of astute regional sales managers. I would identify who your rsm is and just put your problem to him they will reply in my experience. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to We have all been there on this one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock