Search the forum,

Discuss WD 40 for silicone removal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monkeywrenchps

I've had it recommended to me that WD40 is useful for removing silicone sealent to save a bit of elbow grease, as long as the area is properly cleaned and dried using industrial de-greaser wipes afterwards to clean off any residual WD40.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I do have some doubts but it'd be nice if it turned out to be true.

If only it were that easy! (Although I haven't tried it to be able to rule it out)

it's possible that it is the solvents in the wd40 that do the trick, so you would probably be ok with most things that contain solvents imho.
use very sparingly though, you don't want to melt the bath.

ive used it before on a bit that didnt matter ! didnt notice anything but not to say it doesnt work on diffferent types of silicone

Hahaha! Now that is an amusing mental image. *Slow motion* NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *Melt*

The good stuff would eat thru Expanded polystyrene like air fix glue ,

or heat proof radiator paint in polystyrene cup , on posh carpet ! Memories in Slo-mo

It can, but silicone remover from Screwfix is better and less work.

WD 40 DOES WORK. My husband removed silicone EASILY using WD40 on the sealing around our bath, hand basin, and kitchen sink which had not been renewed in the 15 years since we moved into this new house. He sprayed the WD40 on and left for a few minutes then using a plastic recommended tool lifted the silicone, wiped over with Turps and dried it off. The dark places (mildew?) he wiped over with bleach dried off well and then applied new silicone. All is as new as 15 years ago.

It depends on the type and quality of silicone, WD ! WILL NOT remove good quality silicone

You'll find more up to date threads than this in the main Pluming Forum. But I'm reply to this so we bump it up the list and get the pages indexed correctly because of the new update we've had. So just ignore this if it's all old news.

If you do reply, keep it polite and professional. You can disagree with the above posts, and just be professional with your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to WD 40 for silicone removal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock