Search the forum,

Discuss WC cistern water inlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Am trying to fit new WC for daughter. First problem is that the 1/2 inch water inlet hole is a tad too small to fit the fill valve thread. There is a slight lip on the ceramic that needs removing. Tried a half round file gave up with that. Any recommendations as to what to use to remove this lip? Faffing to get the cistern changed will be a pain.

Are you sure it’s not a 3/8” hole?
If you have a “tile file” or similar, with grit coating of tungsten carbide, this will do it. (E.g. tile saw blade that fits in hacksaw, you can also bend this to a certain extent which makes it easier)
Or if access allows and you are brave, diamond blade in grinder - not for faint hearted!

+ 1 for tile saw blade or get a cheap grinder disc and break / snap it in a vice to make a suitable file type impliment to use by hand if it's only a small amount of material. Or use the end of a masonry drill to groze off the material by hand?

The holes are normally well oversize so as above it looks like that's meant to have a 3/8" valve in it.
Did the valve you're trying to fit come with the cistern?

Picture?

If got online don’t assume it’s been supplied with correct items. When customer has got own stuff, several times internals have gone in bin.
Having said that, you’ll get there with grit blade

I think the abrasive will cut it, whether the abrasive will stay stuck on the mesh long enough is another matter... If you use to clean copper pipe you know you end up with a peice of cloth once the abrasive is gone after a few turns. Might be worth a try... :)

Reply to WC cistern water inlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, thanks for your time reading this! We have noticed a leak appearing from the built-in toilet in our main bathroom that's spreading around our floors (great start to the year!). I've removed the panel behind the flusher and can see the water inlet attaching to the Cistern is slowly...
Replies
Views
Hello, First post, be gentle! Anyway, here's my issue. I have a Roca The Gap D-Trit close-couple toilet with integrated macerator in my secondary bathroom. In all it's a great solution for a problem location for a bathroom. However, the cistern has a typical european style side inlet pipe, and...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone. We have a leak from one of cistern holding down bolts on our close coupled WC. This has occurred after a plumber replaced the flush valve yesterday. The problem is now that the plumber says he can't get the cistern off to replace the bolts because it is glued ( probably...
Replies
Views
D
The usual problem of quarter turn inlet valves not shutting off, so I eventually found replacement diaphragms 32mm... and although they fit properly, the water still does not shut off. If I lift the float up I'd have thought the water should shut off but it makes no difference. So I tried the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock