Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Waterfall Mixer Tap For Ensuite in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Let's put the record straight people. The only way you will get a decent tap is to ASK the importer (cos that's what they nearly all are) if it is of ALL brass construction. When it arrives, you'll immediately know its brass as it will weigh heavily like brass.

Taps today are a mix of brass, zinc & plastic. The lighter the tap the crappier the tap. Brass is more expensive that Zinc or plastic so they look to reduce brass content. As it is all chromed you cannot know what is what - hence the question. That also gives you the ability to reject if they tell lies or are 'mis-informed'.

Label or price is, unfortunately, NOT an indicator of quality. With literally a hand full of exceptions, all taps are Chinese manufactured and purchased based solely on look then price to maximise profitability.

Instinct brand taps are simply badged generic Chinese taps available under probably twenty different brand names that I know.

The rule of thumb is, if it feels like good/substantial kit then it probably is.

Oh, forgot. There are a very few that are brass and stainless. Again, ASK!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retroelec

Retroelec New Member

Thanks guys.
    Got it sorted in the end. Took it back and showed him the gap between the tap and plate and after trying to get it to fit he realised the bottom of the tap was curved.
    Replaced it with a new one which fits a treat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Cannot remember what you said but was it a cheap tap?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Retroelec

Retroelec New Member

Well fairly cheap I guess. The list was £80 but I got it for £60.
    Got it from the plumbing section of ridgeons.

5. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

When it comes to fitting taps I install most of the times grohe taps. Very reliable and reasonable I’m pricing too.

• Like Like x 1