Search the forum,

Discuss Waterfall Mixer Tap For Ensuite in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I am after a waterfall mixer tap for my ensuite.
I have been around the plumbing merchants were I normally get my bits from and a Bristan one is £150 ish.
I know there are many makes out there on the internet that are much cheaper but do you guys who fit these things all the time find the cheaper ones are more hassle than there worth?

I don't understand why anyone buys waterfall taps.
If you want a waterfall put one in the garden, not in the basin or bath.

If you must have a waterfall tap buy a branded one or at least one from a plumbers merchant most of them do their own packaged version often made by inta ,bristan or the like if you live in a hard water area it will be a pain to keep it looking good the spout often scales up . cheers kop

If you must have a waterfall tap buy a branded one or at least one from a plumbers merchant most of them do their own packaged version often made by inta ,bristan or the like if you live in a hard water area it will be a pain to keep it looking good the spout often scales up . cheers kop
As above really. Wouldn’t fit one if you are in a hard water area. I try to only fit Bristan taps if I can, but everyone has their own favourites.

As above , spend some money and by quality , the chinki copys are garbage , Peglar used to do a nice one . Bristan ok but they definitely are not the quality they used to be .
I agree but at least you know what you are getting with Bristan and a good customer service

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Have had a word with the Mrs and not going for a waterfall now as the water here is very hard.
For now just to try to get things up and running I have got a instinct tap from ridgeons plumbing centre.
Here is another question it’s a square one however there is only one bolt to fix the tap to the basin located at the back and this seems to pull the front up.
Am I missing something or have I picked up a load of rubbish?
It has horseshoe clamp and gasket and sits on a plate that you line up with a little bolt.

It’s like this. Can’t really see what I’m doing underneath very well.
I will prepare for the backlash on my shoddy workmanship

CA29E690-1882-4D1A-AD82-3BB4A88102CE.jpeg

8BCBEB99-70ED-44C5-9911-B72F93B97F90.jpeg

72BF054B-D88D-48B5-8D16-9F0D3C0CD3BB.jpeg

Yes the basin seems flat underneath.
If anything the plate seems to be the bit that has a bit of play between it and the tap.
I will give it another go in a bit not sure if that little bolt will unscrew a bit to make it not pull down at the back.

Ok haven’t tried to refit it to the basin as I cannot get it to sit flush with the plate when it’s not fixed.
It’s like the first pic and if you push that corner down the opposite one will pop up.
Maybe the bottom of the tap or the plate is a few mm bigger on one side or the plate has a bit of a curve in it?
Could it be I have just got a dodgy set or should I be expecting this type of finish for the price? (List is £80 got it for £60)
Should I see if they will take it back or am I still doing something wrong?
I know it will be changed at some point so could fill the gap with silicone but prefer a better finish really.

Let's put the record straight people. The only way you will get a decent tap is to ASK the importer (cos that's what they nearly all are) if it is of ALL brass construction. When it arrives, you'll immediately know its brass as it will weigh heavily like brass.

Taps today are a mix of brass, zinc & plastic. The lighter the tap the crappier the tap. Brass is more expensive that Zinc or plastic so they look to reduce brass content. As it is all chromed you cannot know what is what - hence the question. That also gives you the ability to reject if they tell lies or are 'mis-informed'.

Label or price is, unfortunately, NOT an indicator of quality. With literally a hand full of exceptions, all taps are Chinese manufactured and purchased based solely on look then price to maximise profitability.

Instinct brand taps are simply badged generic Chinese taps available under probably twenty different brand names that I know.

The rule of thumb is, if it feels like good/substantial kit then it probably is.

Oh, forgot. There are a very few that are brass and stainless. Again, ASK!

Thanks guys.
Got it sorted in the end. Took it back and showed him the gap between the tap and plate and after trying to get it to fit he realised the bottom of the tap was curved.
Replaced it with a new one which fits a treat.

Thanks guys.
Got it sorted in the end. Took it back and showed him the gap between the tap and plate and after trying to get it to fit he realised the bottom of the tap was curved.
Replaced it with a new one which fits a treat.
Cannot remember what you said but was it a cheap tap?

Well fairly cheap I guess. The list was £80 but I got it for £60.
Got it from the plumbing section of ridgeons.

When it comes to fitting taps I install most of the times grohe taps. Very reliable and reasonable I’m pricing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Waterfall Mixer Tap For Ensuite in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock