Search the forum,

Discuss water tank filling up from outlet pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumini

Hi
Black water tank keeps filling up and water comes out the overflow from outside. It is coming in from the bottom pipe which is the outlet pipe. The pipe is warm to touch. So hot water is going into the tank.
No heating has been switched on. Hot water is heated up for 1 hour in morning 1 hour in evening. And this problem is happening all day long. There is also a water meter installed and you can see the meter moving as water is feeding through. Only way to stop it is turn mains water off.

I probably should give you some history no problems in the house then sept 2014 downstairs bathroom was revamped. Loads of piping was hidden in the walls as was all exposed before. Wet room was installed with a mixer shower. All pipe work is in walls behind a completely tiled bathroom. Did have a problem with shower not really being hot enough. Plumber did not seem confident took him over 4 weeks to complete even though told would be 2 week, however looked great. So the same plumber put in a pressure reducer on a pipe under the floor boards upstairs. This did solve it. I had no problems for 4 months. Then the water tank started to fill up. A different plumber came he isolated the feed to the tank because he could not do job straight away, thinking it was ballcock. The tank refilled, he thought the isolator was broke so put a tap in replaced the tank and the ballcock and left. All was fine (Personally think this was filling up from the output pipe then too but did not know this then)

Then around another 4 months same thing again. This time called a different plumber as other 2 not available he came in and realised it was not filling up from the normal place but the outlet pipe and said it was the coil or something in the emersion tank and the whole lot would need ripping out and said it would be costly. I am no plumber and he may be right but was not convinced as the water was not on when this was happening. The problem was happening all the time.

I contacted another plumber for second opinion. He agreed water was coming in from outlet pipe. However mentioned nothing about the coil and immersion heater. He thought may be a mixer tap. unfortunately the plumber that did the bathroom put the taps in so close to the cabinet you cant turn the isolator. The plumber did go around the house trying to see what might be making this happen by looking at different things kitchen mixer tap etc. It was easy to see if it had solved it or not as could look at water meter. He ended up putting a non return valve on a pipe that goes to the showers pump, which is upstairs in same cupboard as water tank. he also ripped up some floor boards to get to the water pressure reducer he adjusted it loads of times. The problem did seem to stop, but plumber was not convinced it had solved it. Only thing I did start to notice after he had gone was if you turned off the mains. The kitchen tap still had water coming out even though on cold, a constant dribble it didn't do that before.

Anyway was fine again for approx another 4 months and same thing again has happened. This time noticed the outlet pipe to tank is actually warm. The last plumber thinks all the bathroom will have to be ripped out tiles pipes out of walls shower the lot and rip up all the floorboards upstairs. This would mean upstairs toilet and basin (which was installed when bathroom was also done) may have to be ripped out to get floorboards up. He thinks the first plumber may have connected one of the pipes the wrong way around.

I have been in tears. he may well be right, he seems a fair bloke and was very honest last time when he said it might not be sorted. I am so worried they could do all this and still not find the cause to the problem. As to be honest had a lot of plumbers in and no one has solved the problem it just seems to mysteriously disappear and then come back a few months later. Im not in anyway blaming any plumbers as Im not surprised they cant solve it. And to be fair its very difficult to know what the first plumber did. (The first plumber who installed bathroom no longer works in the trade so cant even ask him and to be fair you cant say is there a chance you plumbed the pipes the wrong way around seems rude)

Im devastated as house is just finished being decorated etc. I just wondered if any kind soul on here may have any suggestions of what to check before ripping out the new bathroom. Also if first plumber did put pipes wrong way around. Would the problem not happened straight away?
Any help or comments what so ever is so much appreciated. Problem is driving me mad and cant sleep with the stress. Thank You and sorry above was long

sorry if iv missed it but its quite a long read,

the black water tank , what does this tank actually feed, is this for your central heating ? ,

your cylinder is this gravity fed from another tank that is higher up then the black tank? or is it an unvented cylinder ? {mains water fed},

I'd be leaning towards a mixer tap or shower letting by and mains water going back up the hot side

Thank you for the replies appreciated .
sorry for my bad explanation and yes was too long a read I know sorry .The black tank is normally what people have in the loft mine is just above the cylinder. It feeds the hot water for the house so guess gravity fed. The output pipe i mention goes into the cylinder with a jacket on it below.

I maintain either a mixer or shower passing Alternatively it could be a split coi in the cylinder. Do you have two tanks in the loft

Thanks no there is actually no tanks in the loft at all. The black tank which everyone has told me should be in the loft is actually just above the cylinder. So it does not get much gravity ha ha . Funny my last house was the same. Is there any way of checking if its taps or shower is replacing the them? and how do you know if it is a coil in cylinder anyway to check ?
Thanks both of you for replying I am very grateful . You have given me hope that my house might not have to ripped to shreds lol.

if its a pin hole leak in the cylinder heating coil , you would be loosing pressure in your heating system if its a sealed system, if its vented then your heating header tank which would also be a black tank {smaller size} in your loft would be filling up or over flowing depending on the level difference of that tank vs storage tank,,

or like riley says with cold water pressure passing through to the hot water side via shower or mix taps, solution is to fit a non return valve on the hot water pipe to the offending tap/shower,

need to find out where its comming from, if you have service valves to any mixer taps basin ,bath,shower, if you can individually turn them off one at a time whilst checking to see if the tank stops over flowing then you should find out where the cold is passing into the hot , probably best to get a plumber in, best of luck,

p.s didnt see your last post until now, so ignore anything about the tanks in the loft as you dont have any lol , if your heatings fine then it wont be the coil ,

Last edited:
Thank you very helpful sounds like the first plumber didnt plumb anything the wrong way around pheww, like my plumber suspects. Oh yes I will get a plumber to do it would not attempt this. Just was hoping for some good advice which I have got . If any of you are Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire let me know lol. Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water tank filling up from outlet pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi so I changed a towel radiator in bathroom from a normal radiator. I bunged the f&e tank and vent pipe , drained about a pint of water out the pipes. Altered the pipes to the new rad. Then removed the bungs. Gone to bleed the radiator it filled slightly now no air is coming out. I've...
Replies
Views
S
Pumps and low pressure I moved the bathroom to the back the house (next room) upstairs. I put in two pumps because low pressure water area. One for shower and one for bath. They both work intermittently and I often need to get them started with a magnet! They were new pumps. In the shower the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock