Search the forum,

Discuss Water supply pipe joint fixing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had a leak in the water supple pipe between an external water meter and the where the pipe enters the building. The leak occurred where the pipe ran underneath the entrance walkway (about 600-700mm deep). Once we excavated and found the leak, we found it was at a joint in the pipe which had a screw fitting (photo attached).
I was wondering why this had happened as the whole block is only 10 months old? Is this type of fitting appropriate below ground? should there be protective ducting around the supply pipe?
Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

Could of been installed correctly but it's approved for underground use

Could be installer error or pipe too short etc / not all the way in

Or too much pressure put on the joint when the ground was compacted above it.

These fitting are used a lot for MDPE pipes. However inserts should have been used with these fittings. Inserts push in the pipe end before fitting is fitted, they are designed to prevent the pipe collapsing and joint leaking and or pulling of pipe.

Was the end of the pipe inside the fitting in good condition with no deep scratches or other damage? I have seen them leak where the pipe has been scratched as it was pulled through/under objects. The scratch being under the O-ring and produced a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water supply pipe joint fixing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also have an UFH zone in the kitchen. Near the boiler I have 2 port valves which control this part of the system. The boiler has been loosing pressure...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock