Search the forum,

Discuss Water squirting out from pinhole (Wilo FMP303) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

I hope someone can help with this bizarre problem.

Our house has pressurised water supplied from a Wilo FMP303 (with fluidcontrol) pump in the garage. Recently I've been hearing a squeaking sound from somewhere around the pump when it turns on. On closer inspection I see water squirting out of the back of the housing when the pump turns on and pumps water. When I say housing I mean its the plastic dome shaped cover at the rear of the fluid control unit that sits on top of the pump. It looks like water is squirting out of a very small hole of the dome housing.

Because the pump is in the corner of the garage and connected up to pipes I can't get a really good look. The needle in the gauge looks to be sitting just below 2 bar (when the pump is off) and climbs up to just below 4 bar (when its on).

Just to clarify, the squeaking (water squirting out) happens as soon as the pumps turns on and again when it finishes a cycle.

It is concerning as its been like this for a number of months now.

I can't be sure but I did think the pressure from the taps in the house hasn't been as good in the last few months, not sure if this is related.

It this water squirting out from the dome housing normal?
Is there supposed to be a very small hole at the back of the housing?
What is going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

no not normal sounds like the plate seal/ nrv /self prime has gone

We talking the smaller Green section higher than the larger silver dome section Yes? Not good to have any leakage however try tightening the screws and if that doesn`t work then consult with Wilo.

Yes the smaller green section higher than the larger silver part, the water is squirting out a small hole at the back of the green plastic rounded cover (dome shaped). Here's a photo:
http://www.pumpen-heizung.de/media/images/4037266.gif

I've been to the Wilo website, I can try contacting them but not sure if they'll be interested in small fry like me, just a domestic user.
I'll let you know if I find out any more on this.

Thanks.

If it`s on a joint line then there will be a rubber seal of some sort, wouldn`t advise taking it apart but you can see if any screw(s) have come loose.

The water is squirting out a small hole at the back of the green plastic rounded cover (dome shaped).
Here's a photo of the same pump with the fluid control unit on top:
http://www.pumpen-heizung.de/media/images/4037266.gif

I'm suspicious that the small hole at the back of the fluid control casing might be there by design?
and there might be more than one hole there.
I can't be sure as I just can't get in behind the pump to get a good look.

I'm going to try contacting Wilo.

Water leaking out of a pump is not normal.

The most likely problem is the diaphragm in the fluid control section is failing.
The hole the water is coming out will be open to atmosphere to equalise the pressure on the dry side of the diaphragm.

It will either need a new Fluid control unit or a repair kit if available.

Additional info;

There's a port for a pressure gauge on each side.
It may be that the bung has come out of the reverse side or it's leaking on the bung.

Fluidcontrol.jpgWilo gauge.jpg

Last edited:
If it is the pump I think it is, the hole is normal - it is a vent to atmosphere. The cause of water emerging from the hole is most likely that the diaphragm is punctured. It (leakage) is excessive at the beginning of the cycle because it is blowing out the water that has drained across the diaphragm - which overnight can be quite a lot.

You can get parts in the UK from Wilo in Burton upon Trent - they do an overnight service. Alternatively they will refurbish the fluid control unit for you.

I have never fitted a new diaphragm, on the face if it, it is a straight forward operation. However, beware, there is a small spring loaded valve balancing valve in the control unit that is easily disturbed. A new fluid control unit is around £250

Last edited:

Reply to Water squirting out from pinhole (Wilo FMP303) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock