Search the forum,

Discuss Water Pressure for Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MCGRAW

We bought a kitchen tap (Grohe Ambi Contemporary 2 handle sink mixer) some time ago, stupidly without checking water pressure. Return deadline has well passed.

The instructions say minimum water pressure of 0.4 Bar is required and that operation with unpressured storage heaters is not possible.

Measuring down from the bottom of the cold water tank in the loft to the top of the new tap suggests we have 0.38 Bar. We also have a hot water cylinder and the boiler is an Ideal Classic.

Before we get a plumber in, is there any chance of this working or is it a case of cutting our losses and getting another tap?

Thanks

It will work but flow will be less than if pressure exceeded 0.4 bar. the pressure you have measured is the static head, pressure at tap under flow conditions will diminish due to pipe/tap friction losses. These friction losses increase with flow but will not exceed the static head, resulting in equilibrium at given flow.
Raising height of cold water tank will improve flow.

Last edited:
If this is installed in the kitchen, then it is highly likely that the cold supply will be direct from the mains and therefore at mains pressure, so you should have no issues with the cold.

The hot will, assuming your measurements are correct, be virtually at the minimum pressure required, so not likely to give severe problems.

The tap is not a thermostatic one, so there is no mixing of hot and cold (except at the end of the spout) and should be no issue with mains pressure cold "overcoming" tank pressure hot.

Its a fairly standard fitting, and I think you'd be well advised to fit it, and take the slight risk that it would have to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Pressure for Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock