Search the forum,

Discuss Water Leak from Plastic Water Tank in Loft next to the pipe Connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scorps79

Hi,

Woke up this morning to find water dripping from the ceiling.
Had a look in the loft and its coming from the point where
one of the pipes connects to the plastic water tank towards
the bottom of the tank.

Please see photo.

Any idea how we can fix this?

Attachments

• WaterLeak.jpg
    WaterLeak.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 29
1. Turn off water inlet to tank (or tie up stem of float valve).
2. Drain tank. If cold water storage cistern (big tank) drain through tank fed cold tap (bathroom most likely), or if no tank fed tap, drain via cylinder fed hot tap. If central heating feed and expansion tank (small tank), empty tank using a bucket and / or wet vacuum cleaner.
3. Remove front nut in your picture, which connects pipework to tank via reducer. Move pipe clear
4. Remove brass fitting to cylinder (tank connector). You will probably have to use a spanner on two lugs inside to stop it from turning while you undo the outside nut.
5. Examine tank to see if hole is damaged. If it is, replace tank. Otherwise reassemble with new washers, re-fit water pipe.
6. Start to refill with water, stopping after water covers tank connector to make sure all OK.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as if the tank might be resting directly on the joists. If it is, re-install properly on overlapping marine ply base, replacing tank if its the cold water storage cistern.

Thank you very much for the advice steadyon,
its just what I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Leak from Plastic Water Tank in Loft next to the pipe Connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have emptied the water tank in the loft and also closed the main stopcock. still the leak is on - hoping it will eventually stop. I have not idea how the...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
L
Hello Please could I have some advice. I recently had an new air source pump and hot water tank system installed. The pipes to the radiators are copper. However, there is plastic pipes to the taps for hot and cold water. I have found a leak in the connection of a plastic pipe. First...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock