Search the forum,

Discuss water intermittent cold from mixer taps on combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've an ideal logic 35+ and it seems to only give hot water sometimes from my mixer taps in shower and kitchen. When using the bath tap it's always hot and never intermittent so I'm inclined to think it's a diverter. Had my service done last week and described the problem to the plumber and surprise surprise the hot water flowed consistently the whole time he was here.

He stated he could not fix the problem unless it was happening at the time though he could change out components to see if it would help. He did wind down the flow to the hot water side and said it would help though I'm thinking the opposite and it see,s to be worse since he has done it.

My thoughts are that the bath taps demand full flow and when flowing allow the boiler to diver the water and fire up the boiler. When using either of the mixer taps it seems the burner is only firing up sometimes and giving hot then cold then hot etc etc.

I've worked out that if I open the hot bath tap fully then switch on the shower then off the bath tap then hot water will flow until it is stopped.

Is there a way that the mixer tap is not creating enough of a demand for the burner to be fired and provide the hot water. I have checked the input pipes to the mixer taps and there doesn't seem to be any debris/blockage. Would increasing the water flow to the input of the boiler solve the intermittent hot/cold problem? Or would I have to replace the diverter? I've also read there are sometimes diaphragms within the diverter which could be damaged and could provide a cheaper fix though I'm unsure if my boiler has this type?

Any help with fault finding would be great as when supposed boiler engineer claims it would be a replace and see if it works jobbie then that's no good to me. As an engineer by trade, the fault is always traced and only an individual component is replaced so safe to say I won't be recommending him to friends. I understand the fault wasn't present at the time but sure with the symptoms I had quoted there could have been a bit more done.

Hello mate, I'm afraid you won't get any DIY boiler advice for diagnosis in line with the forum rules.All we can suggest is that you get in another gas safe engineer. why not try here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

In answer to your logic it could be one part causing issues likewise it could be one part having a knock-on effect on another part meaning that more than one part may need replacing so don't necessarily knock your engineer as he hasn't even seen the problem. All engineering is not the same

I'm assuming your gas guy came to service the boiler only, or did you book him for a service and a repair?
If service only he's done what he can in the time he's allotted to service your boiler
Could be a relatively easy fix for a GS who knows what to look for
Can you not get back in touch with your gas guy and book him for a repair?
You have a bit of knowledge about how a combi operates, but not neccessarily your combi
Get someone in who is familiar with Ideals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water intermittent cold from mixer taps on combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Got intermittent hot water coming the from a combi boiler to kitchen mixer tap when it hits the T junction for the upstairs bath it's hot, but on the other of the T junction to the kitchen mixer tap it's stone cold, anyone any ideas ?
Replies
Views
I have a Combi boiler and, a few minutes ago I turned on the hot tap in the kitchen and the water was far from hot. In fact, it was decidedly lukewarm. I checked the boiler and the tap icon was lit up, showing it was delivering hot water to the taps and I could hear the boiler running and the...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
I have a very strange issue with my BAXI 105e DHW. if i turn on the hot tap the pump starts and demand for DHW is shown, after a some seconds it will show an error, 60 degree, pump or flow. Well switch the tap off wait maybe fifteen seconds turn tap on and low and behold hot water. If after a...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock