Search the forum,

Discuss Water in clear hose pipe connected to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if anyone could help me out – have relocated my boiler to the loft from kitchen where it was located in a large cupboard. I now have a new combi boiler as opposed to the old condensing ones with tank - this has freed up much needed space in my kitchen and also in my loft where the tank used to be.

About to start work on a kitchen refurbishment but before I start on this I was wondering if anyone could help me with this – please see pics –

There is what I believe is a CLEAR PUMP HOSE Pipe (plastic) that runs from the boiler in loft down through kitchen ceiling and down the wall (at side of copper pies) through under kitchen floor and out.

Should there always be water in this pipe? If you look at the plastic pipe you can see a VISIBLE WATER LEVEL that doesn’t change. Is this normal? If so, should the water level change i.e. when boiler running?

Surprised that they use plastic style hose pipes on boilers but I expect this is what they do now. I know the old boiler didn’t have a plastic hose pipe …..

Just want to ensure everything is okay with piping before we start what will be a plastering, flooring and everything job!

Many thanks

PICS:

pipe pic1.jpg

pipe pic 2.jpg

It depends on which way it is pumping the condensate if it goes up then down then it won’t pump it all out it pumps until it has got the level down in the tank and then stops any water left in the pipe stays ti it’s next pump out

Agree however why isn`t the pipe clear of all water?

Nrv on the pump side there is always some water left in

Nrv on the pump side there is always some water left in
I thought that clear pipe was from the boiler to the inlet side of the pump from the loft and as condensate pumps activate at a low level I`m surprised but then don`t see many condensate pumps.

I thought that clear pipe was from the boiler to the inlet side of the pump from the loft and as condensate pumps activate at a low level I`m surprised but then don`t see many condensate pumps.

No boiler drains into the pump chamber

Water level gets to a certain level pump kicks in and away we go

Normally once an hour

I know how the pump activates Shaun ;) Then it is a ICV rather than NRV

I know how the pump activates Shaun ;) Then it is a ICV rather than NRV

What would you call a rubber ball that's inside the pipe that moves up and down ?

Can`t be an icv how`s water get past it unless it is on a Y piece.

Can`t be an icv how`s water get past it unless it is on a Y piece.

It's in a molded plastic piece straight through tappers towards the pump so the water holds the ball in under load and guess there something that stops the ball from going two far up when it pumps

Sounds like a nrv on the discharge side, thought we were talking inlet side with the clear pipe, is this where the confusion lays?

Sounds like a nrv on the discharge side, thought we were talking inlet side with the clear pipe, is this where the confusion lays?

Yes it's on the dis side normally overflow to the inlet side

Would have saved a lot of expense and hassle to run the condensate somewhere else as it's in the roofspace :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
Right, then the ball can be moved out of the way up into a short dead leg of a Y junction when pump discharges and will return to make the nrv seal when the discharge pressure drops off, some use gravity others a spring.
Back to inlet hose then, these condensate pumps work on a water level activation point with a icv to hold water back in the event that the pump fails (know most are wired to cut the boiler so skip that point).

Wow! Having come back to this with a clear head it seems the inlet pipe & the outlet pipe were getting mixed up with some people ;)

Many thanks for all of your help – this is useful – but im still confused, perhaps more so now.

Should this pipe be plastic?

Should it always contain some level of water?

Should it exit out at the roof? The boiler is in the loft?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Is there always water left in?

The water is clear – if it’s waste why is the water so clean and clear?

I see few of these maybe 1 a year so others may disagree.
Boiler should have a solid plastic pipe from it to a small pump and the clear pipe in your photo will come out of the pump (this is discharge side). This clear pipe will sometimes go up a wall a maximum of around 4.5m and eventually join the drains. This clear pipe should not go downwards and then go upwards again (important bit) and yes this pipe will have some water in it. Although it may look clear I wouldn`t drink it.

This is really helpful so thank you very much for taking then time to answer my questions. It’s so clear I wouldn’t think it was discharge – as you mention this should join the drains – as far as I can see it all goes downwards and at no point does to turn and go upwards. Very very helpful and puts my mind a rest! Thanks you very much

.....so are these plastic pipes not so common then? And why would they be used as oppose to another type of pipe of different material?

...so are these plastic pipes not so common then? And why would they be used as oppose to another type of pipe of different material?
Hi
It's because th waste water ( condensate) from your boiler is very corrosive to metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water in clear hose pipe connected to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock