Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Water in clear hose pipe connected to boiler in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Trac

Trac Member

Was wondering if anyone could help me out – have relocated my boiler to the loft from kitchen where it was located in a large cupboard. I now have a new combi boiler as opposed to the old condensing ones with tank - this has freed up much needed space in my kitchen and also in my loft where the tank used to be.

About to start work on a kitchen refurbishment but before I start on this I was wondering if anyone could help me with this – please see pics –

There is what I believe is a CLEAR PUMP HOSE Pipe (plastic) that runs from the boiler in loft down through kitchen ceiling and down the wall (at side of copper pies) through under kitchen floor and out.

Should there always be water in this pipe? If you look at the plastic pipe you can see a VISIBLE WATER LEVEL that doesn’t change. Is this normal? If so, should the water level change i.e. when boiler running?

Surprised that they use plastic style hose pipes on boilers but I expect this is what they do now. I know the old boiler didn’t have a plastic hose pipe …..

Just want to ensure everything is okay with piping before we start what will be a plastering, flooring and everything job!

Many thanks

PICS:

pipe pic1.jpg

pipe pic 2.jpg

2. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

It will be from a condensate pump.
    Think of it like waste water from your boiler.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Agree however why isn`t the pipe clear of all water?

4. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

It depends on which way it is pumping the condensate if it goes up then down then it won’t pump it all out it pumps until it has got the level down in the tank and then stops any water left in the pipe stays ti it’s next pump out

5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Nrv on the pump side there is always some water left in

6. rpm

I thought that clear pipe was from the boiler to the inlet side of the pump from the loft and as condensate pumps activate at a low level I`m surprised but then don`t see many condensate pumps.

7. ShaunCorbs

No boiler drains into the pump chamber

Water level gets to a certain level pump kicks in and away we go

Normally once an hour

8. rpm

I know how the pump activates Shaun ;) Then it is a ICV rather than NRV

9. ShaunCorbs

What would you call a rubber ball that's inside the pipe that moves up and down ?

10. rpm

A water level indicator.

11. ShaunCorbs

But that's the dcv/icv :D

12. rpm

Can`t be an icv how`s water get past it unless it is on a Y piece.

13. ShaunCorbs

It's in a molded plastic piece straight through tappers towards the pump so the water holds the ball in under load and guess there something that stops the ball from going two far up when it pumps

14. rpm

Sounds like a nrv on the discharge side, thought we were talking inlet side with the clear pipe, is this where the confusion lays?

15. ShaunCorbs

Yes it's on the dis side normally overflow to the inlet side