1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss water help no hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

hi we have an issue with our heating and water system . new flow switch and new pump , system bled , all done by a professional but still no hot water or heating. when the plumber left yesterday we had boiling radiators and some hot water although the heating was switched off. my suspicion is diverter valve but unsure as to why nothing is working again now. boiler tries to kick in but says FD error (flow)

would be really happy for some advice as we have been 4 weeks without hot water no and the Mrs isn't happy.

thanks in advance
    John

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hi John,

I suggest getting your professional plumber back if he/she has supposedly fixed it?

What boiler is it?

3. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

i tried that lol but they arent answering now or even rang me back. daft as they are local and installed the boiler 4 years ago. looks like weve had a pump for no reason too grrrr

4. CBW1982

- maybe they aren’t into boiler repairs?

What boiler is it?

5. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

its a logic plus 18 i think from memory as im at work. with hot water cylinder and tank in loft 3 way honeywell motorised valve

6. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Is it an ideal boiler? Which one? It's or a only 4 years old I'd expect it to still be under warranty. If not then perhaps give the manufacturer a call and ask about a fixed price repair.

7. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

it is an ideal so it must be 5 years as its just out of warranty, i dont think its the boiler as it was working again yesterday but couldnt switch heating side off without turning radiators off.

8. CBW1982

Sounds like it could be your 3 port valve or even the programmer. Start with everything cold, put a call/demand for hot water and feel your pipe leading to the cylinder on 3 port (should be Port B). Now it probably won’t get hot as you said you don’t have hot water, then feel Port A side (heating) if this is hot then it’s more than likely 3 port being the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Yeah I was typing my reply before you mentioned it was a heat only boiler. Why couldn't you switch the heating off? If the system was running when there was no demand, the first place I'd be looking is at the 3 port valve, unless there's a wiring fault, this is the only valve that can overide the controls and fire the boiler up

• Like Like x 2
  10. CBW1982

Also if you diagnose this to be the fault, either employ a different plumber or maybe even stat wher you are located and perhaps one of the fine chaps on here could help?

• Like Like x 1
  11. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

all the controls were off for heating but it was still heating all the radiators. im going to have a quick look this afternoon see if i can see anything obvious especially on the 3 way valve. electrics out of my remit on controls really but these havent been touched other than the new pump being wired.

12. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

i think that may be the case , im in rushden northants

• Like Like x 1
  13. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

Ok here's where I'm at. Took the front off diverter valve and I can move the shaft left and right. Left motor off to see what happens with flow when I turn the valve. Nothing to the left and nothing to the right but in the middle heating and hot water.

14. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 New Member

Another follow up, water is flowing without the diverter head on and me set the pin to the middle, turned all the rads off to stop the flow around them. It will do temporarily until someone can come round or I'm sure it's diverter valve, thinking I need a complete valve assembly as I'm thinking it's breaking down a bit inside. But I'm not too confident draining the system.

15. CBW1982

It could be, but you’d be better someone else take a look. I’m surprised no one on here has been in touch.