Search the forum,

Discuss Water Hammer since installing push fit tap tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Today I installed some push fit plastic tap tails under the sink. This replaced the previous flexible hose (4 in total joined together by last owner - don't know why). I also installed some push fit appliance taps that will go to a water filter and a dishwasher.

Ever since when any tap in the house is shut off I get water hammer. Hot or Cold.

I have drained the system by shutting off the stopcock and letting all taps drain. I thought this cured things until later I went upstairs and used the hot tap and bang again it was back.

Should I try bleeding the rads?
Could it be the push fit pipes installed incorrectly?
Is this going to be a nightmare to troubleshoot?

Any suggestions welcome!

Yeah it's for sure trapped air. The problem is I don't know how to remove it.

The stopcock is open, yes. I've been told to maybe turn this shut a bit to see if that reduced pressure? But then I've also been told pressure is constant so this won't do anything.

I have tried to remove the air by shutting off stopcock and opening all taps - but I don't know if it matters how long for? I just did it until all water stopped, then turned on stopcock.

The reason why I ask about central heating is when I drained the system first time (I've done it now about 6 times) the knocking went away UNTIL I used a hot tap upstairs and then all taps started knocking again.

So either air is somehow getting into the system since my modification, or I have not got the air out properly in the first place. I can get it so the downstairs taps make no effect but then if i use the upstairs taps they start to splutter and when I shut off the hammering returns to all taps on system.

I am worried this will cause a leak somewhere if I cannot fix and I've just had all my electrics redone, down lights and plastering everywhere.

Thanks for replies so far!

If you have run every tap. Flushed the toilets. Checked the outside taps. Run showers etc the air should be out

Unless you have a dead leg of pipe somewhere
Eg you have a combi boiler now but originally there Wes a boiler and cylinder and some old pipe is still under the floorboards

The boiler was moved outside into the attached garage.

We have a brand new (3 months old) baxi boiler.

To the best of my knowledge there are no dead legs.

Since this issue didn't occur before I'm guessing it is fixable without the use of arrestors - is this correct?

Could my water pressure be causing this issue?

Combi boiler?? Apparently several manufacturers now require an arrestor. Not a baxi expert so maybe one of my colleagues can enlighten us

Yes it is combi boiler.

I don't mind installing arrestors IF they are the done thing - I don't want to simply be masking a problem with a hack type device.

As I said before - there was next ot no water hammer before installing these bloody taps. Now it has affected the entire system.

I am tempted to do the whole house in push fit to see if that will cure the knocking.

The 15mm copper is old and I don't trust it if this continues and I can't resolve. Any water source causes hammer and two days ago we never heard it.

No buddy.

Every water source in the house now causing water hammer.

All I changed was some flexible hose under the kitchen sink to some plastic push fit tap tails. Since then the hammering has begun.

I am now wondering if the meter plus of flexible hose used to connect to taps prior was absorbing some or all of the hammer.

In which case will simply installing an arrestor anywhere on the system fix the issue?

Could my water pressure be too high in which case will a pressure reduction valve at the stopcock solve this?

Anyone got any ideas?

Realistically two things happened you changed the pipe and you turned off the stopcock.
Has anybody suggested the innards of the stopcock vibrating?

Reply to Water Hammer since installing push fit tap tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock