Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer noise from various appliances/taps around the house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A bit of background...house was built in 2000. Fitted with screw turn style taps, and washing appliances as new.

During our time here, improvements have been made to the house, but these improvements have caused banging issues. The first was the washing machine when stopping water flowing in. To help the issue I have two stopcock valves in the kitchen. One is located as the water pipe comes in, and the other after the water meter, about 40 cm's later. To improve the banging noise I turned down the second stopcock to reduce the flow into the house.

Since then a new toilet has been added to the upstairs toilet. This started the banging problem again, so I adjusted the stopcock again. This has worked to a degree, but the water flow into the house is now very poor. In other words don't bother running a shower if the toilet is being flushed etc.

In-between these times some of the taps were replaced and can now be quickly closed, again giving the banging noise effect at times. I can happily close them slowly, but the wife forgets!

Anyway, enough is enough and I want a better solution to this problem. So, am I looking at a pressure reducing valve to be added after one of the stop cocks, or/and do some water hammer arrestors need to be strategically added to the system?

Can anyone help with the information I have supplied?

Many thanks

It’s basically caused from newer technology that have a rapid stop of flow, it needs a shock arrestor fitting.

It’s basically caused from newer technology that have a rapid stop of flow, it needs a shock arrestor fitting.

Many thanks for your reply...

Where would one needed to added to solve the noise problem? I say one, but are more than one required, as I've read they have to be fitted near the problem appliance/tap/toilet?

a Shock arrestor is actually calculated on the volume of the water in the pipework on the cold side.

I’ve installed them near the incoming mains and at the other side of the side, and both have worked.... as long as valves haven’t been isolated between them.

Reply to Water hammer noise from various appliances/taps around the house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock