Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Water dripping in overflow pipe. How to change float height? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. K3411989

K3411989 New Member

Hi, i don't know really what i am doing or looking for but water keeps leaking into the overflow pipe i believe it's called and its causing small leaking into the toilet pan. From what I have seen online I have a side entry fill valve but i am not 100%. I believe the leaking is due to the height of the float but for this specific one, i can't find out how to change the heigh. I live in a block of flats so don't have full access to pipes and tank etc

I have attatched pictures too. Thanks in advance! 20181201_144652.jpg

20181201_144623.jpg

2. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Twist the blue float anti-clockwise and the float will lower. Does the valve actually shut off if you lift the blue float.

3. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

You've got a bottom entry valve, the water is coming up that white plastic column that's in the cistern water, you should find the cold water supply to the cistern is plumber into the bottom of it.

When the water is dribbling into the pan is the water overflowing into the top of the notched pipe on the far right of the first picture you posted?

If the water is going over that level is not a problem with the float setting but a problem with syphon (the middle plastic bit in the first photo)

4. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

I see you like the blu loo cistern blocks, you need to stop using those.
    You can either raise the overflow a notch by releasing the white clip and raising the pipe slightly before replacing the clip, or adjust the float height as stated above.
    If it keeps on overfilling you need to replace the washer in the float valve or replace the whole valve.
    That's providing that the water is going down the overflow and not actually passing at the seal on the flush valve.
    Whatever you do, keep an eye on it for a while after to make sure it's working OK and not overfilling and coming out of the cistern anywhere other than where it should.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Top Contributor!!

In the picture the water level in not up to overflow, I suspect that the flush valve is letting by due to a damaged/worn washer in the base. This has probably failed due, in part, to whatever you have added that turns the water blue - these products are not suitable for the type of valve you have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

I'm amazed they're allowed to sell those chemicals blocks for putting in cisterns, they cause carnage on all of the seals in there!

7. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

If it is overflowing then it's the diaphram in the fill valve that needs changing.
    Look at it? It's old and not been touched since Dicks day. Its simply a maintenance issue.

Sorry just read further down the thread and seen that others share my thoughts - or I share theirs! Def fill valve. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. K3411989

K3411989 New Member

The water ia currently leaking into the pipe on the far right and i lifted the float mechanism and it has stopped dripping so far but I am unable to change the height of the float still as it is notched, sort of?

9. K3411989

K3411989 New Member

Yeah the water drips into the far right pipe. Would i be better off getting my landlady to get a plumber to replace the whole inside or?

15436992688751910465400861584436.jpg

10. K3411989

K3411989 New Member

I cant sewm to adjust the float height, but how do i rempve the white clip? Thanks for the help everyone!

11. K3411989

K3411989 New Member

So I would most likely have to turn the water supply off, take out the middle parr and replace the washer?

12. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Top Contributor!!

On the picture of your inlet valve. Hold the white clip still, turn the blue float 180degrees - adjust the height then turn back 180 degrees to lock it at the new height.

13. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

So it's a rented property?
    Definitely get the landlord/lady to send a plumber round. If you break it when trying to do it yourself he/she will probably charge you for the repair.
    The plumber should sort it out pretty quickly then everyone's happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

The bits in there look pretty old so added to the fact that you use blu loo blocks they'll probably be brittle and easily snap.
    Let the plumber sort it and stop using blu loos.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

I would agree.

This toilet has not simply wandered out of adjustment over time and this is not the kind of everyday maintenance a good tenant would be expected to carry out him or herself as part of 'behaving in a tenant-like manner'. Had it been a diaphragm valve with a slightly out of tolerance fill level, I might say it is the tenant's responsibility to rectify if he can, but this is not the case here.

My experience as a former landlord is that when tenants try to maintain things they generally get it comically wrong and I had no issues doing maintenance myself anyway: the tenants paid me for it through their rent, after all (about £20 a day, when you think about it). It was all part of the deal.

The tenant should not really have used Bloo in a cistern containing a drop valve, but cannot possibly have been expected to know this unless the landlord had provided instructions to this effect. Unless, hypothetically, the tenant were a qualified plumber.

• Agree Agree x 1