Search the forum,

Discuss Washing machine inlet pipe leaking, water pressure too high? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, first time poster here, I have looked but don't see this issue mentioned.

My old washing machine inlet pipe was leaking, not surprising given it was over 30 years old. It looks to have been a slow leak from the meeting between the rubber pipe and plastic connecter at the machine end. I bought a replacement pack, only sold in pairs at the shop I went to, and the first one I installed immediately ruptured at the same place - though it was a metal connector this time. There was a hiss while the air cleared and then water leaking.

I replaced that one with the second one from the pack, same pressure/temp grade, and it seems to be holding.

Could it be that the pressure in the house is too high? Do new inlet pipes often fail on first use? I've seen the anti leak safety pipes but they're around £25 each and need replacing after they fail so it's probably cheaper to keep replacing the cheap ones.

Well both plastic and rubber can harden with age. With regards to high pressure has any other plumbing work been carried out both inside the house and outside by workman or have you had a new boiler installed recently? Any changes at all?

If the new one`s are failing straight away then I don`t understand the last papragraph.

Is it going onto a correctly flat faced washing machine valve

RPM: It was just one new pipe that failed instantly so it may have just been faulty. The second one seems to be holding. I'm just wondering if this is something people have come across before and if I should make a backup plan. I've looked for high pressure inlet pipes but they all seem to have the same pressure/temp ratings.

No new plumbing work carried out recently, though the washing machine is new and we had to replace the washing machine tap/valve as the old one was stuck. The stopcock is in an awkward location so they closed off the water from the street, if anything the pressure is slightly lower now.

Riley: Yes, we replaced the old valve with one of those. The leak was at the other end though.

Reply to Washing machine inlet pipe leaking, water pressure too high? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock