Search the forum,

Discuss Washers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kieran1980

Just a quick query are the rubber washers used on gas fittings any different to that used on say water fittings? Do they have to be resilient to natural gas etc

Thanks

just a quick reply, a corgi guy would know. my number is 188144 what's yours?

Actually THIS Corgi guy doesn't actually know if there is a manufacturing difference either, but would err on the side of caution, suspecting that this would come under the classsification of an inappropriate fitting.

hi graham will admit i dont know either. but as a guess i would say a rubber washer used on gas should be resilient or resistant to natural gas!
i suspect the question was asked by someone NOT corgi registered and NOT having a lot of common sense. in my eyes this is a very dangerous combination. might as well tell him to make the joint up with plenty of raspberry jam..
hope you are not based in wigan keiran.!
Residents speak of blast terror - Wigan Today

sometimes i should say what i relly mean first time.

"
hi graham will admit i dont know either. but as a guess i would say a rubber washer used on gas should be resilient or resistant to natural gas!
"

The original question is perfectly reasonable. A purist technical person would relish the conversation, rather than try to assert some moral authority. The whole thing made worse by the poor final contribution quoted above.

I'm sure the vast majority of people on this site are techies through and through - only too keen to help others, and further understanding.

who said that was my FINAL contribution?
the original question is ridiculous! as for relishing the conversation, no thanks. it would only have lasted 10 seconds. as for the moral authority. i am quite happy for the guy to blow himself up(as long as he lives on the moors and doesnt have any neighbours) its a bit like a drunk driver, he know he shouldnt but he does( then he wipes out a car with 2 kids and their dad on a motorway) what do your morals say about that marsh? would you feel safe living next door to him?

In an attempt to provide some mediation, the original question is not ridiculous as, although I may never have used a regular rubber washer out of my seals box for, say, the connection on a gas hob (and we all lose those from time to time don't we!), now I will think at least twice before I look there for a gas washer. And to be fair if I was going to consider using an alternative I wouldn't have the time to post a question here and wait for a credible answer. Yes, those of us who are competent should dissaude those who ask questions which betray a total lack of any ability from even lighting the gas oven, but sometimes these seemingly silly questions raise points which will make professionals stop and think. That is why I am on here. If I ever kill anyone with poor gas work it is more likely to be a scenario I had never considered rather than shoddy workmanship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the original poster stood and watched a Corgi guy changing a washer on his/her gas appliance and queried Mr Corgi and he said that they are all the same. Kieran1980 was the worried about his/her safety and queried on an internet forum to allay his fear or confirm his suspicions.

Mike

Exactly Mike, a perfectly legitimate question for any number of reasons, but obviously Mcmoby felt it necesary to shoot the guy down even though , despite what he claimed, he didn't actually know himself.

Exactly Mike, a perfectly legitimate question for any number of reasons, but obviously Mcmoby felt it necesary to shoot the guy down even though , despite what he claimed, he didn't actually know himself.

i think apologies are in order. i'm sorry i have wasted my time, and my life, answering this post. i'm sorry my sense of humour and my point has been missed. i did not intend to shoot anyone down, after quite a few years on building sites a sense of humour develops that sometimes is not recognised in certain situations. maybe it is sarcasm ,maybe it is taking the p*ss. the result was unintended but the answer remains the same. i realise now my first response should have been.
' if you cannot use your common sense to decide if a rubber washer used on a gas pipe should be resilient to natural gas or not then i think you should contact your local corgi engineer.'
the fact that i do not know is purely because i havent read it in any technical format. but, i personally, would assume that the washers in questions should have to be compatible.
if this guy IS working on gas and he feels he has to ask questions( in my opinion) as ridiculous as this then i'm glad i dont live near anyone called kieran.
if this was a question about chocolate sauce leaking out of willy wonkas chocolate factory, i personally wouldnt give a monkeys if jelly washers were used. but, when gas safety is involved i take it very seriously. i personally have reported two local corgi reg plumbers and am chasing a third now thru corgi. my satisfaction comes knowing i have personally have saved a life thru being diligent, and, i make no apologies in my lack of intolerance of people dabbling in things they shouldnt. if anyone cannot understand the implications of the original question have they even considered that it may have been a serious question? maybe it is me being too serious. but. there you go.

No, it just wasn't funny, and you still dont know the answer to his question.

Now THATS sarcasm.
sorry for wanting to be accurate but....

sarcasm

A form of irony in which a comment conceals another meaning. For example, a sarcastic remark directed at a person who consistently arrives fifteen minutes late for appointments might be, “Oh, you've arrived exactly on time!”

i take it your 'sarcastic' comment does actually mean i do know the answer.

i have previously admitted i dont 'know' the answer, but using my superior powers of intelligence and common sense i know the washers should be .... blah blah blah.
just like i know that if i put a gun to my head and pull the trigger(yes it is loaded yes it is cocked yes it works blah blah blah) it will probably kill me.
i do not 'know' it will but i would have a jolly good guess at the answer.
if anyone has any comments as to why any old washer should be used it would be interesting to hear your arguments on the subject.
now i am bored!

Thats all REALLY interesting (honestly) but it doesn't alter the fact that the guy asked a perfectly reasonable question and you were just plain rude.

Personally I would have thought that in this litigious society rubber washers would have to be labelled "not suitable for gas" if that was the case.

In fact, maybe this forum should be labelled "not suitable for anyone asking a reasonable question about gas unless you can provide your CORGI no."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Washers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

GID1 Essential CORGI Gas Safety Manual - best selling 'foundation' gas installer manual continues to be an essential 'on the job' technical reference source for the modern gas professional CORGIdirect's best selling 'foundation' gas installer manual continues to be an essential 'on the job'...
Replies
Views
Now sorted... don’t bother reading this stupid long post. Hi, I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher here and wondered what you guys would make of it. I was called by a landlord to do a gas safety check on a property that is now at the latter stages of being sold and the buyers wanted the usual...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Hi, Any help, advice or personal experience appreciated. We are supplied by a lead pipe but on a shared supply. I am about house 4 out of a run of 6 or 7. When tested by Affinity Water no other houses seemed to be drawing water. If you were to run a hose and another house draws water the...
Replies
Views
Hello all! Seeking opinions/advice on how to handle an idea from a client of mine, I wonder if anyone else has come across this before? One important caveat: My primary discipline is as a gas safe engineer! I am NOT a "dyed in the wool" plumber of many years experience, so please be gentle &...
Replies
Views
INSTALLATION: Large house occupied only by a retired couple most of the time. Has three bathrooms, one bathroom in regular use, the others only used when visitors come. New boiler being installed, 35Kw combi. Cold mains pressure between 3 and 4 bar, with flow rate of 20 lpm through 32mm...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock