Search the forum,

Discuss Wall mounted tap is too long...is it possible to shorten? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Here is the tap I have

basin mixer - bathroom taps and mixers - synergie - VADO

After installation, the tap spout is too long and situated too high, so the water stream is missing the sink!

It would be very expensive and difficult to lower or change the tap as it is wall mounted.

Do you think it is possible to make the tap spout shorter by about 7cm without making a mess of it? It is currently 16cm long.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, you’d need to take it to a machinist to shorten it on a milling machine and if I remember correctly maybe have a brass block inserted with a hole to accommodate the little spindle ...then a new grub thread hole tapped.

So Farrella, you`ve got almost 30 posts on your kitchen taps asking questions ie can I bend it? & can I shorten it? And all the attachments are links to sites without any real photo`s so I`m calling you out as FAKE! Or incredibly stupid.

So Farrella, you`ve got almost 30 posts on your kitchen taps asking questions ie can I bend it? & can I shorten it? And all the attachments are links to sites without any real photo`s so I`m calling you out as FAKE! Or incredibly stupid.

You might be right registration from Surabaya

That doesn't make sense as I'm not advocating for the brand at all, if anything I am complaining that it's too long? I used link before as it included the technical spec and all my photos on on my phone (instead of computer).

Here is a photo of my tap that is too long:

sink%20with%20too%20long%20tap_zpsnfboimpd.jpg

I hope you can see that I am genuine. And this forum is the reason I bought a Vado tap (WRAS approved) instead of a cheap Ebay one, so the forum's advice was useful and appreciated. However the new problem is this tap's spout is too long!

Way too high off the basin normally water fall taps about an inch higher than the basin

And set / reduce the pressure and flow so it's not too much

Another photo of bathroom from the side:

bathroom_zps2robf8v6.jpg

Yes the builder installed the tap too high, and he won't lower it unless I pay him extra (says it takes 2 or 3 days to redo the pipes behind wall). The tap is also a bit too long for this sink.

I've been given the choice to either:

1) Pay someone to shorten the tap, and then raise the sink/cabinet (top of sink is not 87cm high). And reduce pressure for tap if it's not too difficult/expensive.

2) Change the tap completely to the downward Vado Origins tap as it appears to have the same mixer design if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know if it's possible. Then sell the current tap.

Last edited:
He's a plumber who made an honest (and expensive) mistake with waterfall taps. And he says lowering the tap would be very expensive and might risk damaging tap. This is why I hope you guys can give better advice for the solution :)

I'll be losing a few hundred quid either way :(

He's a plumber who made an honest (and expensive) mistake with waterfall taps. And he says lowering the tap would be very expensive and might risk damaging tap. This is why I hope you guys can give better advice for the solution :)

He made the mistake he does it foc

How is moving the tap going to damage it?
Or has he stuck it to the wall !
Either way his mistake not yours.

I'm aware I may be shot down here but what the hell... :rolleyes:

OP. The fact of the matter is you are asking true professionals to bail out some form of cheap skate - either you or the 'builder'.

I know not where the blame lies, but I do know you are employing a so called professional. As the customer, you pay the bill, you decide what is right, you decide what is wrong. Please just make up your mind, inform your 'builder' and move on.

If, by chance, you asked them to specify your kit, then you have to take some of the responsibility but you still have a 'case' because it is unfit for purpose. If it was you who specified then I am afraid you will have to bite the bullet and pay up. You made the decision to not consult a professional in the 1st instance so you pay the price.

The whole point of forums like this is to help those who help themselves. I do not believe it is right and proper to dig those who think they know best out of a pit when they finally and painfully discover they know nothing after all. Life is full of lessons. Welcome to the real world. ;)

I just don't have the knowledge to know which is the best solution here and I want a third party's objective opinion rather than ask a shop or my plumber. The shops I call either want me to buy a new tap or have an operator who knows nothing. I can't trust the opinion of my plumber as he is overbooked and doesn't want to help.

I'm not a cheapskate, if you look my bathroom I've already paid extra for name brands like Matki, Villeroy and Boch, Vado, Geberit etc. But naturally I don't want to waste more money on a bad solution. I will pay a few hundred pounds to fix this no matter what option I choose.

Last edited:
I just don't have the knowledge to know which is the best solution here and I want a third party's objective opinion

Firstly, what kit you acquired is no indication of intent.
Second, it now sounds as if you specified. That means, and I'm repeating myself here, it is time to find a professional who will assess the situation properly and help you deliver an appropriate resolution first time.
It will cost you, but you will get resolution quickly and not 9iss off your builder - currently a real danger. Bite the bullet & good luck.

I just occurred to me that you guys think I'm the one who's installing and am lying about my plumber!

I've already paid extra for correcting other mistakes...I'm embarrassed to say how much I have paid the plumber and builders but it's over 5 figures. It all feels a bit unfair so I thought I'd go on this forum for some objective advice.

My expertise is in music, I'd be happy to give free advice on that (in case anyone wants to ask...).

Right now I'm guessing my best option is to just give up on the waterfall and splash out on a downward tap (similar to a Vola 911) so the plumber doesn't have to spend 3 days moving the pipes and cabinet.

Last edited:
Personally, that thought never occurred to me.

The facts are:
- you need professional help
- you need that 'on the ground'
- with the best will in the world we cannot provide what you need as we cannot assess either what exists or what is needed because we are not there with you
- whatever the outcome, it is going to involve additional spend
- the perspective I offer advice from is one of simple honesty

I've no idea where you are, but perhaps, just perhaps, someone on here may be able to visit and advise in a proper professional capacity to get you back on track. That means paying them for their time and experience.

Unfortunately, you are far from unique. Many of us here have, in our careers, patiently explained to thousands of people before you that the process of installation must always, always, always start with engaging, and then engaging with your professionals. Apologies but few builders are professionals (there is no qualification to be a 'builder). When you do it that way, the professional will advise and vitally educate you as to reasons. We do it from a pragmatic perspective, and often it clashes with how things look, but at least you are provided with the facts and from those you can make an informed decision. Choosing yourself is frankly a minefield even for 'simple' things like taps, as you have found out, because no reseller will ever offer advice because their sole focus is a sale - end of.

We are all the sum of our experiences. I know, eventually, you'll look back and smile. The best of luck.

I get what you're saying, I say the same to musicians.

I hired "professionals" with great track record at high cost, there is a manager, a plumber, a builder and a junior builder. People make mistakes. In my profession, if I mess up I fix the problem for free. They have each given their advice for a solution (the two options listed), and I decided to come here for extra advice. I'm on this forum because I want as much advice as possible, so that I can learn and minimise future mistakes. And I enjoy hearing advice from different people who are passionate about the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wall mounted tap is too long...is it possible to shorten? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock