Search the forum,

Discuss Vibration in floor...boiler/water heater? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this may already have been asked. Has anyone apart from you, felt this vibration ?

Yes, a visitor felt it on the rare occasion it happened during the day (a saturday when more people are home, there may be a clue) and the previous tenant downstairs used to tell me about a vibration in her living room, it didn't disturb her in the bedroom, only the living room, but she was always curious about it. One day when I was sat with her I felt it in the living room and we remarked on it, that it was a mystery. She was glad I felt it as she said no one has believed her. But at the time it was disturbing no one and I didn't feel anything in my flat upstairs then.

I don't know if its the same (ie something's got worse) or not though.

But yes, a visitor to my flat has felt it, it's definitely real. Also if I stay away at someone else's house I feel nothing, so I know it's not my inner ear or anything like that, if you were here you'd just know, like I do, it's real.

It happens more at the weekends and during the night when people are home, that's the only solid clue I have.

Last edited:
The plumber last night also saw the photo I took of the steamed up mirror next to the pipe that I mentioned two posts up.

It's really frustrating because never in my life before have any of my experiences been questioned. I can imagine that my landlady will speak to the management company for the flats and they will say that they can't insist on a check of everyone's appliances until we know where it's coming from.......but we're not going to know until appliances are switched on in people's flats.....and the only way people will know that it's not imagined is when I finally move out (which is close to happening) and the next tenant complains that they can't get any sleep due to it.

Last edited:
Something tangible to update you with and a question.

Firstly a person from a flat opposite has experienced this type of vibration before and it turned out to be their pressure regulator valve which was located under their bath. They are on the ground floor.

I'm on the other side of the block and on the first floor, but the flat that exactly mirrors their in structure and layout is next door to me and down one floor. I'm often woken in the early hours by my floor seeming to 'move' and vibrate and it comes through the bed and wakes me up. When I check outside, this flat is lit up, kitchen and bathroom lights on and the person leaves very early for work.

So wondering if it's the pressure regulator valve of this downstairs flat and somehow the vibration is running up the party wall and across my floor? Any thoughts on this one? Thanks

Update: Somehow got locked out of here, now found my way back in. I posted this (below) on another similar thread - posting here to continue on here:

"
The vibration happens mainly at night at random times but particularly between 11pm and 2.30am, then again any time from 4.30am to 8am. Been two years, hoping to move but this is dragging me down. I have 2 adjoining neighbours as I live in a first floor flat, one underneath and one next door (who has someone underneath them). Underneath have vacated and I'm assuming their water heater is off. Next door gets up at the crack of dawn, sometimes at 4.30 and often the vibration coincides with his morning activities and then calms down when he leaves (that said, it also happens at lower levels even when he's out, which makes me wonder if it's something to do with the water entering the flat beneath him or something like that).

Today I noticed that his outflow pipe from his bathroom is dripping, slowly, but steadily all day.

I'm assuming from my description that the ball valve in my toilet cistern is not the problem? Too much of a pattern to the vibration.

I don't know if there's a tank in the loft, how would you know (I'm a tenant but I have a feeling my landlady won't know this).

Nothing happens in relation to my taps, and according to the neighbours nothing is happening in their flats either, but it's a nightmare and very real. My brain wouldn't conjure up such an annoying hallucination to stop me sleeping, lol"

Anyone any thoughts on the leaking outflow pipe from my neighbour's bathroom?

I would say get your toilet fixed and go from there

I would say get your toilet fixed and go from there

You think so? Even though we don't know if there's anything wrong with it and the vibration is happening night and morning (not really inbetween)? If you definitely think so then I will. thanks

You think so? Even though we don't know if there's anything wrong with it and the vibration is happening night and morning (not really inbetween)? If you definitely think so then I will. thanks

Well it's dripping via the overflow so something's wrong with the fill valve

I cannot believe that this thread is still running!

Can you not find a decent Plumber / Heating Engineer in your area who can sort this for you?

Surely someone can get to the bottom of it. Even if it isn't related to our work I would expect someone to find the cause.

Where does it say her toilet is overflowing?, must of missed that.

Sorry his toilet if it mostly happens when he gets up and starts using his water

There is no reason this noise cannot be found!
I myself have given all manner of possible explanations in the past for this one.

You need to find a good reliable Engineer with some level of experience, preferably an Engineer who is like a dog with a bone.

Going to a problem getting landlady`s and tenants to all agree access and method of elimination.

Going to a problem getting landlady`s and tenants to all agree access and method of elimination.

Howdy RPM, hope you're well!
I get your point. It needs sorting though. At one point I thought it sounded like a PRV discharging. You know when someone leaves fill loop open or when they're always open to water main pressure like an unvented cylinder would be.
My thoughts were that if the water pressure is just below the PRV spring pressure/tension, it would be fine through the day but when water pressure increases through the night, off peak, it might just be enough o open it and you know how they bang and vibrate when they're at that point. They keep releasing and slamming shut again. Plus I am sure I remember discussing water coming out of a pipe outside before.
As this is still going on, I presume it isn't that. The funny thing with this is that no-one else seems bothered by it which would tend to indicate that only Rachiex can hear it.

It must be driving her nuts.

Howdy RPM, hope you're well!
I get your point. It needs sorting though. At one point I thought it sounded like a PRV discharging. You know when someone leaves fill loop open or when they're always open to water main pressure like an unvented cylinder would be.
My thoughts were that if the water pressure is just below the PRV spring pressure/tension, it would be fine through the day but when water pressure increases through the night, off peak, it might just be enough o open it and you know how they bang and vibrate when they're at that point. They keep releasing and slamming shut again. Plus I am sure I remember discussing water coming out of a pipe outside before.
As this is still going on, I presume it isn't that. The funny thing with this is that no-one else seems bothered by it which would tend to indicate that only Rachiex can hear it.

It must be driving her nuts.
Hi LP, yeah all fine thanks.
Agree with you above and can`t figure why a mirror would get steamed up. o_O

Hi LP, yeah all fine thanks.
Agree with you above and can`t figure why a mirror would get steamed up. o_O

Frustration caused by the noise possibly. I would have blown my crown valve before now

Reactions: rpm
Wow, lots of replies. Thanks. I will respond properly when home from work, but re the mirror, that was my mistake. Something else was causing that, can't remember what, but it was nothing to do with the vibration.

Environmental Health have refused to just have a chat with the adjoining neighbours, they keep saying they cannot 'compel' people to have appliances checked by them. But surely 'asking' isn't 'compelling.' Local Councillor doesn't understand why they can't speak to the neighbours either, so will see what happens, but I'll repond on a few other points later.

Extremely frustrated. By Christmas it will have been two years of 4 hour's sleep a night, I had some respite over the summer, not sure why...

BTW, my toilet isn't leaking, the outflow pipe for the neighbour next door on my first floor level is dripping. It's the only thing that suggests it might be coming from him. (there was a leaking outflow pipe from the people below me, but that was not coming from the toilet, but from their water heater. I told the landlord and they got it fixed and apparently a plumber told them that nothing in their flat would be causing a vibration, so I feel obliged to leave them alone, on top of that their place is vacant atm). When I talk to him about it he expresses no interest and changes the subject. He's mentioned having a noisy boiler in the past but said it doesn't vibrate. I go to bed anxious because I know he'll be up by 4am and I'll be woken by vibration, it's not that precise of course, sometimes I'm lucky, but more often not. but he says it's not coming from his flat. the only other thing I'm wondering is if it is from the flat beneath him. I hear a lot of stuff from that flat, including people walking about. You wouldn't think so, but I do. It's like there's a hollow part in the wall....

I wondered if it's something to do with a valve that allows water into that ground floor flat and into the building from the street.....but then why would things vibrate when my neighbour ABOVE them is up and about getting ready for work (and sometimes an hour before he gets up, I know because I've been woken and checked windows for lights, etc).

Back to work, but thanks for responding.

Last edited:
I didn't come back to this as it's been a crazy week...

My side neighbour on the first floor has been away all week, there is a drip, as I say, coming from his outflow pipe directly from the bathroom.

While he's been away I've slept well every night, until last night, I got woken at 6am this morning to my bed vibrating, and today is my day off and I hadn't got to bed until 2am last night...Side neighbour still appears to be away, so there would have only been one flat occupied. That is the flat underneath him. I have suspected this flat before too, I'm aware that the PRV is likely to be in the bathroom of this flat (because the mirroring flat opposite has one there)....

Getting sick to death of this after nearly two years. Is there any way I can go outside when this is happening and turn off the water to the building? Just to see if it stops, I won't leave it off. I'm not getting any help from any of the landlords here except my own but she comments on the flat all the time, tiny bits of dust on a surface, etc, (the place is clean and tidy, she's even suggested a cleaning schedule to me and getting a cleaner, you'll have to take me on my word that this flat is VERY clean and tidy, it's just an oddity about the landlady, and it's just added pressure, the previous tenant mentioned the same thing, she's 80 year's old), so I'm always reluctant to call her.

If downstairs and side neighbour are both away, it's GOT to be coming from the only other indirectly adjoining flat, the person underneath my side neighbour? Hasn't it? But then how do I explain all the vibration that happened when THAT flat was vacant a few weeks ago.....THAT suggests it's my side neighbour, and even though he's away, his outflow pipe is the only one that's leaking.

I know no one has the answer, but wondering if anyone can hazard a guess....once I'm clearer on where it's likely to be coming from, I can tackle that person. Thanks for reading, I won't keep posting, I will leave it after this unless asked anything.

Ok, just adding that since typing this my side neighbour's window is open, so someone is home today. No idea if that was him this morning though, as windows were untouched, car not outside and still looked like he was away then.

Find a way of talking to the side neighbour, explain that for the last X nights there has been no vibration, ask him politely when did he go away, come back and can he say what time he used any part of his bathroom or kitchen this morning.

Put a smile on and explain it is a good opportunity to rule their flat out. Just a method of elimination and all that.

Thanks. Unfortunately I've not done it as yet. I've asked my landlady if she will come and speak to him. About a week ago the neighbour beneath him came up and almost banged his door down, swearing, telling him to 'f*cking turn your music down' etc.

So I don't want to be complaining also. But on the other hand, strong suspicion it's him now. It's been happening every morning, very early, before he goes to work.

I get the feeling he doesn't want me approaching him about it. He's calm and friendly, but avoids the subject and keeps changing the subject, as if it's not important. One morning, very early, I asked him what he had switched on, and he just started asking me if I knew who the new car was in the parking area, seemed to miss the fact that I didn't even want to be awake at that point, let alone outside investigating vibration.

My landlady is not one to back away from things, so hopefully we'll have spoken to him by the end of this week.

I just find it odd that a man is totally uninterested in what's causing a vibration in a flat right next to him (the buildings are so close you can hear one another sometimes). Most men I know would at least ask about it, but he seems to miss the seriousness of it and it's starting to bug me....it's as if he's avoiding it because he knows what it is. I know that sounds paranoid, but it's been two years before I got there, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vibration in floor...boiler/water heater? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock