Search the forum,

Discuss Vibrating/hammer controlled by TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

We’ve been having a loud vibrating from our CH pipes upstairs.

Very annoying because it seems to be directly underneath the babies room meaning we can’t have the heating on after bed time.

It can actually be controlled or induced by turning the little ones TRV down once a certain heat has been achieved. Sounds to be like when the TRV is shutting off the water, the pipes are vibrating with the sudden stop of water.

Video here IMG_6858.MOV

Any help much appreciated.

Either valve is faulty and is chattering when almost shut off or if old it maybe that's it's not bi directional and fitted on the wrong side. Either way I would change that valve

old valve replace with a new bi you should be fine

Do ALL your radiators have a thermostatic valve installed?

Only upstairs do. The downstairs have those white caps. Not turnable.

Answer to the other post - it’s not bidirectional as far as I’m aware but the arrow seems to point the right way (in to the radiator).

Only upstairs do. The downstairs have those white caps. Not turnable.

Answer to the other post - it’s not bidirectional as far as I’m aware but the arrow seems to point the right way (in to the radiator).

It should be installed on the flow pipe (the one that heats up first), is that what you mean?

It should be installed on the flow pipe (the one that heats up first), is that what you mean?
Not sure. The heating is on at the moment so will have to wait to check which one heats first.

Although. It is a straight run from the boiler (in a closet behind the bathroom door in my first photo below ) to the radiator. The valve is on the right hand side which would actually be further away from the boiler than the other pipe. Not sure if this means anything.

E96D9654-65F5-4684-89A1-C129800AEB7A.jpeg

4CBD40D8-C513-4261-AA41-9C61FA8CCCB4.jpeg

Not necessarily. The way to check without turning the heating off would be to close the TRV, leave it for an hour or two (or whenever the rad is cool to touch) and then check both pipes, you should then have a temperature differential that is noticeable by hand.

Ah! Unsure, I will need to check! The
Not necessarily. The way to check without turning the heating off would be to close the TRV, leave it for an hour or two (or whenever the rad is cool to touch) and then check both pipes, you should then have a temperature differential that is noticeable by hand.

Awesome! I’ll drop a reply in an hour or two. Thanks all

So - looks like the TRV is not on the in feed (pipe that got hot first was the stop lock side). Is this the cause of my problem you think?

So - looks like the TRV is not on the in feed (pipe that got hot first was the stop lock side). Is this the cause of my problem you think?

I would think so, might also be worth checking any other TRVs as if one has been fitted the wrong way round there's a good chance others will have been too.

This is an old TRV and these were directional could and should only be fitted on the flow side , so the pipe coming in which gets hot first. Change for a new TRV which are none flow specific which most are nowadays.

Reply to Vibrating/hammer controlled by TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock