Search the forum,

Discuss Very very Hight Co2 ppm old Myson velarie... Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes put it on a job sheet that I start before starting job. Would normally get them to initial any changes etc. I get then to sign and authorization to proceed before I start any job. Client had left before I finished and not back before I left, so phoned client and explained all to client before I left and he seemed happy.. Should have waited until they returned to sign, but next job waiting...

What is the advice around switching off unsafe boiler. I was taught that with oil we have no legal right to disconnect boiler. but if pumping out co @ 800ppm... Surely.. I told client on Friday boiler not safe and do not switch on, 3 times I told him. Could not believe when he said he had it on. Luckily it locked out...

I turn switches off and sometimes remove the solenoid to prevent burner firing.
Fuse out and oil off for extra safety.
Can’t trust customers or friends they bring later to interfere. Or children obviously can be at switches.

I turn switches off and sometimes remove the solenoid to prevent burner firing.
Fuse out and oil off for extra safety.
Can’t trust customers or friends they bring later to interfere. Or children obviously can be at switches.
Ill keep that in mind. Ill take solenoid with me. For better piece of mind.

Update on boiler. Got there this am with new capacitor. On arrival noticed lock out on..Odd considering I had switched off at wall and at boiler and told client not to use boiler.. Different story..
Re-cleaned the now oil wet combustion chamber..*?@*%
Removed burner and removed fan and cleaned loosened air band and cleaned. Found small stone jammed in back of band preventing it closing fully. So when I thought I had closed air band there was actually gap at the back. TOO much air... So with that sorted . I replaced nozzle thanks to Kris's Myson performance data sheet, and set pressure. Done smoke test at low air and adjusted down to 2 smoke. Then fine tuned with FGA. Ended with 11.2 co2, 37% excess air, flue temp 277 C, 70 co ppm. any more air to bring co2 down a bit then co ppm rises. Not sure what the recommended co2 is for that boiler.
Anyway happier with that. All that headache from a 2mm stone..
Must say the air band is very fine movements to tune in. I ended up at just under 1 on the settings.

You don’t want the Co2 much more than 11% for that burner.
There was some of them supplied with a slightly different blast tube and you will find it had to burn slightly higher smoke number to achieve reasonable CO2.
I have the actual paperwork for the Velaires, but can’t be bothered looking for it.

Ill keep that in mind. Ill take solenoid with me. For better piece of mind.

I also remove the solenoid on boilers that haven’t full isolation switches, just to be safe when I go out to van to get tools or parts.
Don’t want to walk back into a fire. :eek:

You don’t want the Co2 much more than 11% for that burner.
There was some of them supplied with a slightly different blast tube and you will find it had to burn slightly higher smoke number to achieve reasonable CO2.
I have the actual paperwork for the Velaires, but can’t be bothered looking for it.
Thats good about the smoke number, I ended up with about a 2 smoke , but any less pushed other figures out..

Thats good about the smoke number, I ended up with about a 2 smoke , but any less pushed other figures out..

Sometimes you just have to be unconcerned with the CO2 being a little low and be happy the boiler is running clean. Over 10% is fine on some old burners I find.
That Electro oil burner was a great burner though. Must be over 30 years old if orange colour

Sometimes you just have to be unconcerned with the CO2 being a little low and be happy the boiler is running clean. Over 10% is fine on some old burners I find.
That Electro oil burner was a great burner though. Must be over 30 years old if orange colour
At the figures above should I be worried about sooting up then.
Job all done, dont really want to say to client I have to go back and do more.. But if it will be all sooted up in a few weeks then better sort.

At the figures above should I be worried about sooting up then.
Job all done, dont really want to say to client I have to go back and do more.. But if it will be all sooted up in a few weeks then better sort.

The figures seem very good.
Much the same as a new type burner would be set at.
Co is a bit high, but not bad

so to bring co2 down to between 10-11% i'd increase excess air. Pushing excess air to about 49% . less soot (good) . But this increases CO (bad) How to get CO down and Co2. down ..Decrease pressure? Pressure set to MI 145psi and Nozzle .5 80 H

Reply to Very very Hight Co2 ppm old Myson velarie... Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 12 days ago attended a boiler lock out. Apparently another plumber was there a week before to and adjusted the photo cell. .. It is a grant wall 16/21 about 10yrs old. The ones where there is no room to move ...! Doesn't look like serviced much. Opened up and heavily sooted. Bottom baffle...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm hoping for some suggestions as to where I go next in my endless mission to stop my system taking on air. The house has a gravity fed system, 'S' plan, Heat only boiler supplying CH & HW, with separate F&E and vent just before the pump in the typical H layout, pump & valves are all...
Replies
Views
We have a Rayburn 460k Nuway burner which is now over 20 years old which has been regularly serviced and maintained by myself and has generally been reliable. However....last week it has stopped igniting on both boiler and cooker. Removed the burner and found the blast tube had gone on the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just come away from a 22 year old Boulter oil boiler. Carried out a service, the exchange and baffles were in quite a state. Cleaned it all up, then the burner, changed the burner nossel ect. Pump pressure was at 8.5 bar and air setting was 3, MI's state 8 bar and 5.1 air set. Done a smoke...
Replies
Views
D
hi all got a problem with the above mentioned boiler. i normally only carry out service and commissioning work but have been called to a break down. boiler smoking excessively changed nozzle pump pressure ok air setting set at 5. now motor has stopped you can hear a clicking and then a humming...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock