Currently reading:
very awkward boiler change..how much to charge??

Discuss very awkward boiler change..how much to charge?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys, been mulling over a job for the last week or so and not sure how much to charge.
takin out an old floor standing ideal thing which is located in the kitchen to put a new combi (halstead dimplex i beleive,38kw, are these anygood...never seen one before!) in the airing cupboard in the bathroom which might i also add is boxed in and is above a stairwell so the boiler will just about go into the space which will be left over when cylinder is took out.
Now the flippin guy is insisting that none of the boxing in will need to be removed as it will mess up his bathroom(understandable i suppose) i know its gonna be a struggle to pipe up but is do-able.
Also gotta run a new gas feed upto the boiler in 28mm which will follow the route of goin through a wall into a covered walkway and up through a flat roof and into the boiler location...and the gas meter is under a stairwell....and is just accessible enough to pass gas safe criteria.
I know he has been let down by 2 other fitters as they said the boxing in will have to come out!!
so you can see my predicament and it's gonna be a challenge and i know i'll get it done it's just a matter of how much to charge?? only supplying pipe and stuff as guy is gettin boiler and accessories.
could be 2 days on the job.....ive already been there and changed all rads so wont need a powerflush,just a chemical one.

Well I guess it depends how busy you are or how much you need the work. Either charge him day rate plus materials for the two days or go on a fixed price.

I personally hate jobs when customers supply there own boiler and I make it clear that only my pipework is guaranteed, any probs with the boiler it's down to them.

Also, if box work needs to come off, it needs to come off. Surely they can get a chippy in to box it all back in again.

Sounds like your customer is on a tight budget, or one of those that is rich for a reason (tight as a nuns .......).

Good luck :)

Never mind what he says,youve got to do the job is it possible to do with these constraints?
How long would it take you above and beyond a normal install?
What about the condensate.
Perhaps you need to involve other trades to work within these constraints!
Weigh it up carfully sounds like he thinks that he knows more than you.
Take care and if in doubt pass it on!
Good luck!

if in doubt i always put in a big price that way if i get it theres plenty of spare to get over problems nothing worse than a tricky job and no profit at the end

thanks chaps...will speak to him tomorrow and put in a high price to cover me for 2 days...and your'e right he is rich for a reason!!!

well you can quote £1m,if he does not want boxing off and job can not be done with out that happening what's it matter
Be careful here, you could end up loosing out big time if things go wrong
Do not go ahead with job unless you are sure you can do to the customers requirements,coz if you remove old boiler change pipe work,squeeze new boiler on wall and can not quite make a connection with boxing in position you are in big do do

well you can quote £1m,if he does not want boxing off and job can not be done with out that happening what's it matter
Be careful here, you could end up loosing out big time if things go wrong
Do not go ahead with job unless you are sure you can do to the customers requirements,coz if you remove old boiler change pipe work,squeeze new boiler on wall and can not quite make a connection with boxing in position you are in big do do

i know mate,i am going to make it clear that if i need to remove boxing in i will do it...and i'll get him to sign something so he can't give me any crap if it happens.

and dont forget to add a couple of hundred quid in for the sparks - the boiler will have to be installed with a 30mA rcb on the circuit to be installed in that location.
good luck.

Sounds more like a three day job to me - at least you can cover yourself a little if you do run over 2 days.

halstead terrible prone for leaking on HW pipe,
I would walk away but it depends if you need the cash.
If he is suppling boiler which for me would be a nono, then I would say £2300 and thats cheap keeping in mind your supplying a new gas pipe which should be £1600 alone.
Dont know your rates but thats what I would do however I never take on jobs when they start being mr plumber and taking away profits from materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
never fitted a dimplex but seen it on display in pts,look like plastic junk,not impressed

i reckon if you've been mulling it over for a week your subconscious is telling you to follow the other 2 fitters down the road and give it a wide birth.

i think i would be

I followed the other 2 lads down the road to the pub......the job was turning into a pain in the arse!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

add walk away carnt do job without removing the boxing in,sounds like he wants it easy for him,add ave just said gas regs mean you have to remove it ,ie no joints in conceled places that you carnt get at and as he wont let you remove the boxing in you carnt get at it and he will relise no o0nes going to do it

There is no such thing as a customer being on a tight budget, just a tight customer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to very awkward boiler change..how much to charge?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock