Search the forum,

Discuss Vertical vs Horizontal Unvented Tank for Loft Conversion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
disclaimer - just a homeowner looking for advice

Hi

Was looking through old threads and found one that dealt with the pros and cons of horizontal un-vented cylinders - but the last post on it was a while back and I was wondering if people's views (& the the appliances) had changed much.

We're having a loft extension built with an ensuite. We've had a new combi installed in the kitchen - but we're not happy with the amount of hot water it's pushing out and the builder has advised that we could improve the situation by installing a horizontal unvented cylinder (the only room to put it in is under the eaves).

He's recommending ones made by Joule (Cyclone Horizontal Un-Vented Cylinders - Joule)

We've been told (and I've read) various thing about them ranging from "all horizontal tanks are useless) to "they're great". Does anyone here have an informed opinion?

From what I understand there's no issue here with the water pressure or rate of flow - but I'm not expert.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Need to be sized correctly (50% bigger than required capacity)

But there great

They are not as good as vertical cylinders but are more than suitable for say 98% of jobs. I would say straight off ignore whatever the builder says you need to be G3 certified to work on and install these. Insist on getting a qualified engineer in to assess and quote

Last edited:
Need to be sized correctly (50% bigger than required capacity)

But there great

Or he could install a Telford horizontal one and fit a bronze pump as per there recommendation s, then could get a normal sized one calculated to their requirements.

Also the extra weight ....maybe 300 kilos from the cylinder, would probably require calculations from a structural engineer.

And finally plenty of room for the annual safety check

Horizontal cylinders do almost the same job as a vertical cylinder. They just lend themselves to limited head room in attics and spread their weight across more ceiling joists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical vs Horizontal Unvented Tank for Loft Conversion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'd like to install an unvented cylinder in the loft. With limited headroom it would have to be horizontal. I want to keep my existing valiant condensing boiler. I currently have a vented set up. A couple of plumbers said this could work. Will the feed and expansion tank for the central...
Replies
Views
Hi all, diy homeowner here, we have a loft conversion (installed pre our occupation) there is an ensuite toilet and sink, the sink however seems to let through sewer gases and in not a small amount either! The soil stack vent terminates at the original roof height of the house so quite some...
Replies
Views
D
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has been getting condensation droplets form on the bitumen membrane. I had previously installed lap vents and minimised storage to improve air flow. The loft is well insulated apart form an area under the cold water tank. However my cold water tank is...
Replies
Views
DDangerous
D
Hi, Trying to decide which cylinder to go for? I am renovating my house which will end up having four bathrooms and a wc. I am planning to go for a 300l unvented indirect cylinder as currently I have a vented cylinder with a cold water tank in the loft and face issues with hot water pressure...
Replies
Views
We are building a new 2 bed bungalow and looking at Heating / Hot water options. Although Gas is available we are keen to not have it connected but we will be having a large solar system installed as we have a long South facing roof. Our house that we are moving from has Air con installed in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock