Search the forum,

Discuss Ventilation for dfe fires. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but I though that you couldn't just cut a hole in the floor to give a vent to a fire, I was under the belive that if it was under the floor it had to be purpose provided ventalation and ducted directly from out side to the vent!!

I could be wrong but I though that you couldn't just cut a hole in the floor to give a vent to a fire, I was under the belive that if it was under the floor it had to be purpose provided ventalation and ducted directly from out side to the vent!!

floor vent only needs to be ducted if under floor communicates with more than one property or there is a potential for radon gas

to be honest i couldnt care less what anyone says as on my acs its said 100cm2 and says the same in the corgi book and viper book so as long as i cover my own rear and no one dies al stick to what ive been taught granted the mi,s overule everything but its been 100cm2 for as long as ave been doing it and this is the first time anyone has questioned it so all i would say is if someone wants to take the risk so be it on there head but i no what i would do

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest i couldnt care less what anyone says as on my acs its said 100cm2 and says the same in the corgi book and viper book

Sorry mate, you have to read the books again.

CORGI book (page 72) For DFEs - check the MIs as some models may not require any additional ventilation - or as per MIs.

VIPER (page F-4) Decorative fires may not need purpose provided ventilation where the MIs clearly identify this.

Sorry mate, you have to read the books again.

CORGI book (page 72) For DFEs - check the MIs as some models may not require any additional ventilation - or as per MIs.

VIPER (page F-4) Decorative fires may not need purpose provided ventilation where the MIs clearly identify this.

im sure sparra will qualify what he means, but my interpretation of what he is saying is that DFE'e need either NIL or 100cm2, not a calculated value of 15cm2 or anything else.

im sure sparra will qualify what he means, but my interpretation of what he is saying is that DFE'e need either NIL or 100cm2, not a calculated value of 15cm2 or anything else.

yep kirkgas as far as am aware you carnt calculate anything with a dfe and has to be 100cm2 cos i asked wat if it has less ventalation and is ncs tutor said nope has to be 100cm2 so ave always gone with that regardless

The BS is the useful entry here, all else is just hearsay IMHO.

I have a case in point in that a certification company disconnected my gas fire as it's a DFE and gas bloke & his parent company say all DFEs need air ventilation 100cm2 to outside.
Without contacting me they did this then I got phone call later, so complying we put in an air vent before re-connection which is another load of dosh.

Then I discover my gas fire does not need air vent as manufacturers website states.

So even though spent on getting unnecessary air vent they want money - this must be happening worldwide and think of the resource (& carbon AGW scam) wastage.
Should not the burden of proof be on gas engineer to show model needs air vent rather than just cut off?

I wonder what GasSafe train the engineers to do?

All DFE's need an air vent "unless manufacturers instructions say otherwise".

If you don't have the instructions to hand for your own equipment, most engineers would look at that it you either need to find them ( from manufacturers or internet ), or sign a warning notice and have it turned off until you do find them. The other option would be to forget finding them and put a vent in for it.

I personally might have a quick google to try and help the customer out but there are many DFE manufacturers around and many fires. A lot of manufacturers disappear without trace in my experience and a lot of DFE fires have little or no information. In other words, it isn't that easy in most cases to find information and a lot of people do not want to pay a gas Engineers fee for spending time trawling the internet.

I hope this answers your questions!

You know this thread is 5 years old ?

Last edited:
All DFE's need an air vent "unless manufacturers instructions say otherwise".

If you don't have the instructions to hand for your own equipment, most engineers would look at that it you either need to find them ( from manufacturers or internet ), or sign a warning notice and have it turned off until you do find them. The other option would be to forget finding them and put a vent in for it.

I personally might have a quick google to try and help the customer out but there are many DFE manufacturers around and many fires. A lot of manufacturers disappear without trace in my experience and a lot of DFE fires have little or no information. In other words, it isn't that easy in most cases to find information and a lot of people do not want to pay a gas Engineers fee for spending time trawling the internet.

I hope this answers your questions!

You know this thread is 5 years old ?

Underfloor ducting is only necessary for flueless appliances and its also necessary for ventilation provided through another room for flueless.
Open flue can be un-ducted thro floors

The BS is the useful entry here, all else is just hearsay IMHO.
another load of dosh.
Then I discover my gas fire does not need air vent as manufacturers website states.

So even though spent on getting unnecessary air vent they want money - this must be happening worldwide and think of the resource (& carbon AGW scam) wastage.

I wonder what GasSafe train the engineers to do?

I have fitted a DFE that the manufacturers stated did not need a vent.But the size of the chimney opening made the draw on the flue insufficient.
So a vent gets fitted anyway.
The engineers judgement also is a key issue.

there is more involved in working with gas than just taking money from people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ventilation for dfe fires. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock