Search the forum,

Discuss Ventilation for dfe fires. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackcatgas

Further to my other post about floor vents..... I went to a job today, the dfe fires been capped, the paper work says 100cm2 vent required, its a 10.2 kw fire, Ive calculated that it needs a 15cm2 vent, the installation instructions concur with this. Is there some new reg that I dont know about that says all dfe fires must now have a 100cm2 vent as a matter of course now?.

mis overide everything but i thought the smallest vent is 100cm2 for any fire

Last edited by a moderator:
mis overide everything but i thought the smallest vent is 100cm2 for any fire over 7kw

Ahh, ok, this is the crack, the fire was fitted 8yrs ago,the manuufactures instructions say a 14cm2 vent is required, there is a 50cm2 vent into the floor void, Ive been outside and there is only the old victorian brick vents from outside into the floor void. what I was going to do was core a new black hole ventilator from outside into the floor void, this is 35cm2 because of the internal baffels.
Is this ok to do?. Cheers for your replies.

Just because a DFE is under 7 kw does not mean it does not need added ventilation,all DFE's need ventilation unless otherwise stated by manufacturer and that ventilation shall be no smaller than 100cm2

If mi says 140 cm2,fit a vent to suit through floor,you can increase ventilation under floor to outside if you wish but you should find underfloor vents already at front and rear of building,which should be adequate if meeting building regs

imho

Just because a DFE is under 7 kw does not mean it does not need added ventilation,all DFE's need ventilation unless otherwise stated by manufacturer and that ventilation shall be no smaller than 100cm2

Cheers Puddle, the dfe is 10.2 kw, the MI state a 14.6 cm2 vent is required, my calculations agree with this, I know the MI always overide anything, but...... will my above plan of work suffice or do I have to now put in a 100cm2 vent even though the old MI says I dont have to put one in that big?

If mi says 140cm2,fit a vent to suit through floor,you can increase ventilation under floor to outside if you wish but you should find underfloor vents already at front and rear of building,which should be adequate if meeting building regs

imho

14 (Fourteen) cm2 vent required in the MI.

Here we go, from the current BS:

BS5871-3:2005
Specification for Installation and maintenance of gas fires, convector heaters, fire/back boilers and decorative fuel effect gas appliances —
Part 3: Decorative fuel effect gas appliances of heat input not exceeding 20 kW (2nd and 3rd family gases)

8 Ventilation

8.2 Sizing
Unless the manufacturer’s instructions specifically state that purpose provided ventilation is not required, such ventilation shall be provided in the room or internal space containing the appliance. Where purpose provided ventilation is required, the air vent free area shall be a minimum of 100 cm2, or, where greater, as stated in the manufacturer’s instructions.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.2
Normally, appliances covered by this standard will require a minimum of 100 cm2 of purpose provided ventilation. However, in the case of an appliance of not greater than 7 kW input which generates a clearance flue flow not greater than 70 m3/h when tested in accordance with Annex A, an air vent may not be necessary.
The manufacturer’s instructions will provide details in such circumstances. It should be noted that Annex A describes a laboratory test which is not for use by gas installers seeking conformity with this standard.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
14 (Fourteen) cm2 vent required in the MI.

got that and edited to suit before this post,finding it hard to keep up this evening :dozey:

defo no need to increase underfloor ventilation to outside would of thought ,should be alot more than 14 cm2

8.2 Sizing
Unless the manufacturer’s instructions specifically state that purpose provided ventilation is not required, such ventilation shall be provided in the room or internal space containing the appliance. Where purpose provided ventilation is required, the air vent free area shall be a minimum of 100 cm2, or, where greater, as stated in the manufacturer’s instructions.

Cheers Alex, Iam sorry to be thick its been a long day, the manufacturers instructions say that extra ventilation is required, it states 14.6cm2. I was always taught that the manufactures instructions trump any regulation, so will the existing 50cm2 vent suffice or do I need to put in a 100cm2 vent becuse the MIs are old and not to current standards.

got that and edited to suit before this post,finding it hard to keep up this evening :dozey:

defo no need to increase underfloor ventilation to outside would of thought ,should be alot more than 14 cm2

Thanks everyone!

I was still writing some of my replys when people had already replied, looks like I was being ignorant/thick. sorry.

If it is an old fire and fitted before reg change,I would increase ventilation to 100cm2, as ventilation requirements must meet todays standards and sounds like mi's in this case are based on old standards

imho

If the DGF's MI states it doesn't need ventilation, thats the case as long as the client has the instructions.
Where as if it states it needs ventilation, the minimum is 100cm2 unless MI states it needs more.
100cm2 free air thro' floor & 100cm2 min thro' the vents into the under drawing in your case.

Further to my other post about floor vents..... I went to a job today, the dfe fires been capped, the paper work says 100cm2 vent required, its a 10.2 kw fire, Ive calculated that it needs a 15cm2 vent, the installation instructions concur with this. Is there some new reg that I dont know about that says all dfe fires must now have a 100cm2 vent as a matter of course now?.

apologies in advance if im wrong, but are you sure you read the MI properly? any dfe i've seen by definition of design needs a minimum of 100cm2
and at 10.2 requiring a vent it would be 10.2-7x5 is more than 15cm2 haha

Most of DFE's are under 7Kw and MI would say - purpose built ventilation is not normally required for this appliance.

We could have more appliances in the same room but this is another question.

Most of DFE's are under 7Kw and MI would say - purpose built ventilation is not normally required for this appliance.

We could have more appliances in the same room but this is another question.

if we do a vote of whether we have seen more that require a 100cm2 than dont, i think most people will say they have seen a lot of fires that do require it

On the subject of dfe fires,would just add that it is important to gas rate them,manufacturers stating no extra ventilation required as say only 6.9 k/w,they base this on the 7k/w rule and but you will find many of these fires are over the 6.9 k/w stated on the badge pushing it over the seemingly magical old 7 k/w figure

[QUOTE=aggis;262808]If the DGF's MI states it doesn't need ventilation, thats the case as long as the client has the instructions.
Where as if it states it needs ventilation, the minimum is 100cm2 unless MI states it needs more.
100cm2 free air thro' floor & 100cm2 min thro' the vents into the under drawing in your case.[/QUOTE]

The MI states that it needs extra ventilation, 14.6cm2 to be precise, the vents/fire were installed 8 years ago. Do I need to upgrade to 100cm2 or will the existing vents (50cm2) suffice?.

[QUOTE=aggis;262808]If the DGF's MI states it doesn't need ventilation, thats the case as long as the client has the instructions.
100cm2 free air thro' floor & 100cm2 min thro' the vents into the under drawing in your case.
The MI states that it needs extra ventilation, 14.6cm2 to be precise, the vents/fire were installed 8 years ago. Do I need to upgrade to 100cm2 or will the existing vents (50cm2) suffice?.[/QUOTE]

upgrade to 100cm2

apologies in advance if im wrong, but are you sure you read the MI properly? any dfe i've seen by definition of design needs a minimum of 100cm2

Hi Kirk ,defo 14.somthing, il scan them in tomorrow

taken from "Corgi Fires and Space heaters" third ed page 56,

"unless the manufacturer's installation instructions specifically state that purpose provided ventilation is not required, a minimum 100cm2 free area of ventilation needs to be provided. the purpose of the ventilation is not only to provide combustion air for the appliance but also to satisfy the requirements of the unrestricted chimney".

Last edited:

I have viewed similar MI's that state the same small vent size for a DFE fire. The customer produced the old MI's for some ancient fire that BG had been servicing and passed year after year. They argued that the removed window vent more than gives the 15cm² required. IIRC it was around 9kw.
I argued the old MI's are out of date and AR'd fire. Customer was not interested in forking out to upgrade ventilation to 100cm².

Agree with you. British Standard 5871 part 3. All DFE fire installations require in a minimum 100cm2 free air ventilation unless the manufacturer for the appliance specifies otherwise. DFE fires less than 7kW may not require additional ventilation if the flue flow is greater than 70m3/h, manufacturer would have to be consulted before accepting this as acceptable.

DFE's require a MINIMUM of 100cm2. End. If the M.I.'s recommend more then it must be provided. If less then 100cm2 is needed. The adventitious ventilation does not suffice for DFE's. Are you sure it's a DFE and not and LFE?

all dfe,s have to have 100cm" regardless and as above if mi,s say bigger you go bigger but carnt be less than 100cm2 full stop

No, no, no...
OK, BS can be confusing...
Here's same thing in our good old TB from Gas Safe:

Technical Bulletin 041

Note 2: DFE appliances with a rated heat input less than 7kW (Net) will normally require a minimum of 100cm[SUP]2[/SUP] free-area ventilation, however, reference should be made to the manufacturer’s installation instructions, as some models may not require additional ventilation.

Note 3: DFE appliances with a rated heat input greater than 7kW (Net) and up to 20kW (Net) will normally require a minimum of 100cm[SUP]2[/SUP] free-area ventilation, (or as by manufacturer’s installation instructions).

It's in black and white. So, it can be less than 100 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] or none.

Last edited:
Mi's trump regs.
In the majority of cases yes, but with important issue such as ventilation requirements the Regs/Standards overrule.

Another example is, how many sets of MI's does it state the flue must be fully inspectable along it's run?

Sometimes we have to take a balanced view/approach between the MI's and regs!

Nothing is straightforward in this game. Even more so in recent years. We now have more and more MI's contradicting regs/standard and vise versa. Keeps us on our toes.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ventilation for dfe fires. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock