Search the forum,

Discuss Vented cylinder connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

Good evening

Pipework connecting to a vented cylinder, 22mm compression fittings, do any of you use jointing compound?

Are you talking about fitting male compression fittings into cylinder? or tapered cyl unions?

you might as well use jointing compound, then this is guaranteed not to leak!!

most compounds on the market are suitable for drinking water

Thanks for the responses so far. The cylinder in question is a standard 900 x 450 vented with male threaded compression connections. It seems as though there is divided opinion. I thought to ask because read something in one of the monthly merchants magazines and it go me thinking. I think the article said do not use but it did not make the reason for not using fully clear.

Acts as a lubricant to the olive so can aid it in coming off & if to much is applied & it gets into the system it can block up the fine filters that are in systems nowadays, but its mainly because you just don't need it if you are using half descent fittings. At most all you should need is a turn or two of PTFE around the olive if it is a bit dodgy. IMHO.

Acts as a lubricant to the olive so can aid it in coming off & if to much is applied & it gets into the system it can block up the fine filters that are in systems nowadays, but its mainly because you just don't need it if you are using half descent fittings. At most all you should need is a turn or two of PTFE around the olive if it is a bit dodgy. IMHO.

No chance of an olive coming off if tightened properly! Never seen or heard of a properly tightened olive coming off unless pipes freeze. Most fittings are not great nowadays & copper pipe is not as heavy & strong as imperial pipe was, plus add the risk of knocks & scratches on the pipes. This is where paste will guarantee a fully sealed joint as it acts as a fine seal & a lubricant. Just a tiny smear though!
All I see everywhere is seized up brass fittings - even quality ones & always they haven't been pasted.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. lol
Why not try some with & some without & see how you get on it will prove it one way or the other, just like I did (if you like, make the ones without easy to get at)

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. lol
Why not try some with & some without & see how you get on it will prove it one way or the other, just like I did (if you like, make the ones without easy to get at)

He would need to wait a month or two, or a years, as it is not necessarily bad weeps I am talking about, but also microscopic leaks that show up as corrosion later. I love paste though! Lol! :smile:

I always use paste on compression fittings. You will need ptfe on the threads of the MI fittings in the cylinder, and a small smear of paste on the compression part of the fitting. Lovely!

I look at this way. A GSR I know, he does my gas work, fitted a cylinder twice and then a third time with a new cylinder. Male Iron fitting into the cold feed. The conversation went "What do you use when plumbing in a cylinder on the cold feed, I can't stop it leaking" I told him ptfe on the mi threads and then a little smear of paste and then a smear (what a cracking word smear is) of paste on the olive and hey presto. He treat himself to some paste and finally sorted the cold feed. I installed an external oil boiler for him whilst he fitted rads and a towel rail inside and modified pipework to suit. Managed to fill the system long enough to commission it before he had to drain to fix the leaks on the rad tails and towel rail tails. No paste.

I look at this way. A GSR I know, he does my gas work, fitted a cylinder twice and then a third time with a new cylinder. Male Iron fitting into the cold feed. The conversation went "What do you use when plumbing in a cylinder on the cold feed, I can't stop it leaking" I told him ptfe on the mi threads and then a little smear of paste and then a smear (what a cracking word smear is) of paste on the olive and hey presto. He treat himself to some paste and finally sorted the cold feed. I installed an external oil boiler for him whilst he fitted rads and a towel rail inside and modified pipework to suit. Managed to fill the system long enough to commission it before he had to drain to fix the leaks on the rad tails and towel rail tails. No paste.
Ar, yes but also No experience !! (& he probably wasn't using imperial tube but that metric stuff which was all scratch up. LOL)

SimonG reply about someone having leaks because of no paste reminded me of a neighbour who used a guy who wasn't really a plumber to do a bathroom plus all the plumbing/heating in a new extension.
Neighbour said the guy asked him to get an engineer in, as he couldn't seal the valve tails on a rather odd new rad in bathroom. Went in to sort it & noticed the rad bosses were a bit oval, to be fair, but when we said it was better with paste as well as ptfe, the bloke (who couldn't sort it) had a cheek to say it didn't need it! I redone the ptfe & pasted the tails. No leaks & it is still sound at least 20 years later.

SimonG reply about someone having leaks because of no paste reminded me of a neighbour who used a guy who wasn't really a plumber to do a bathroom plus all the plumbing/heating in a new extension.
Neighbour said the guy asked him to get an engineer in, as he couldn't seal the valve tails on a rather odd new rad in bathroom. Went in to sort it & noticed the rad bosses were a bit oval, to be fair, but when we said it was better with paste as well as ptfe, the bloke (who couldn't sort it) had a cheek to say it didn't need it! I redone the ptfe & pasted the tails. No leaks & it is still sound at least 20 years later.
Have you got shares in a paste factory or something Mr Best, :bulb2:

I'm a big paste fan. Don't use Boss white anymore. Too runny. Jet blue. Why they call it blue I'l never know. Its the colour of french mustard! LOL

Have you got shares in a paste factory or something Mr Best, :bulb2:

No, just got addicted to the stuff, - you know how it is, it starts with just one joint, then you like it, so it's 3 or 4 joints & nowadays I am up to sometimes a couple hundred joints a day!
Afraid I am a pasteaholic.

I've never used paste and ptfe on the same joint. Am I weird?

No. One or the other. I've only ever used PTFE in an olive on a joint that's allready leaking. Not on my own work. PTFE is for threaded joints in my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vented cylinder connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Do most composite valves now for unvented cylinders have a tee on them For the expansion valve connection? The ones I used to fit just had the balanced cold connection coming of it. Them I tee'd off downstream of the composite valve for the expansion
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose...
Replies
Views
After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the immersion heater. Just wondering if there are any devices that can circulate the hot water in the cylinder so the immersion heater heats all the water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to replace an old system boiler with a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 627 system boiler, thats the one with the diverter valve so no need for zone valves, controling it with a V-Smart and a VR10. I've spoken to Vaillant Tech and they said you cannot use the VR10 with a vented...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock