Search the forum,

Discuss Vent problems after tank move in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
I am having problems with my upstairs hot water taps first thing in the morning.
The system is an open vent with a cold storage tank in the loft and a direct hot cylinder on the first floor.
The problem started about 5 years ago when I extended my bathroom and fitted a gravity feed power shower. First thing in the morning when you switched the shower to eco, the pump would race for 30 seconds as if it was drawing air. This was not really a problem until the last day when I decided to move the hot cylinder to the front porch to free up the sitting room cupboard,which would allow me to take down the wall. The move added about 4 meters of pipe on the cold feed and the same on the hot take off.
After the move the shower has no water at it and I have to run the bath tap and sink tap to bleed out the air.This gets water to the shower.
So I have just examined the system and I think the air is being trapped when the tank is heated during the night.
The vent pipe is wrong I think,because the hot 22 mm pipe comes off the top of the tank goes up to the toilet and then up to the cold tank to vent.The hot taps are tee,ed off in the bathroom and not at the tank.
I don't want to totally repipe the vent so thought about installing an air vent valve on the hot leg as it leaves the tank.
Don't know if all this makes sense but I would like your thoughts.
Thanks

Seperate pump feeding water to the shower and did you move the pump as well?

Sounds like it is piped wrong you should have independent supplies for the shower pump feeds as attached . Kop

Screenshot_20190223-030823_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190223-030840_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Don`t disagree there is something wrong bud, however unless I`m wrong it is a box on the wall, no seperate pump this time.

Aquastream type shower ? It Will still need a Essex type flange for the hot feed and separate cold from CWS tank. Not shared . Kop

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
Aquastream type shower ? It Will still need a Essex type flange for the hot feed and separate cold from CWS tank. Not shared . Kop
The shower is a Newteam.The problem is worse this morning.Low flow on the hot taps until you switch the shower on to bleed the system.Think I will order an air vent and try it on top of the cylinder

What's the distance between the top of the shower and the bottom of the cold water storage tank in the loft?

Screenshot_20190223-152920.png

You dont need an air vent you most likely need the correct flange as mentioned before

OP, can you take photos of the installation, a pic of the cylinder and where you have taken you hot supply from and a pic of your cold water supply too please.

The vent pipe is wrong I think,because the hot 22 mm pipe comes off the top of the tank goes up to the toilet and then up to the cold tank to vent.The hot taps are tee,ed off in the bathroom and not at the tank.
I don't want to totally repipe the vent so thought about installing an air vent valve on the hot leg as it leaves the tank.
Don't know if all this makes sense but I would like your thoughts.
Thanks

Just a thought reading this, is HOT and COLD connected the right way around?

You dont need an air vent you most likely need the correct flange as mentioned before
What is the correct flange bearing in Mind-this installation was done in 1984 and all I have changed over the years is the fitting of the shower and moving of the tank a few days ago

Give us some pics and we’ll check

Where’s the vent as atm the cylinder isn’t vented

Where’s the vent as atm the cylinder isn’t vented
That's the point.The hot water pipe exits the cylinder and goes up to the cold tank where it hangs over the edge of the tank. The hot taps are tee,d off this pipe. Can I put an air valve in the short pipe exiting the tank?

Last edited:
Who did that work!!!!
Pipe from top of cylinder always needs a vent of it.
That has no chance of working

That's the point the hot water pipe exits the cylinder and goes up to the cold tank where it hangs over the edge of the tank. The hot taps are tee,d off this pipe. Can I put an air valve in the short pipe exiting the tank?

Wrong think you should get the person back who did the work

In addition I’m not sure plastic is the most sensible straight off the cylinder. Someone really needs a word in your installers ear

In addition I’m not sure plastic is the most sensible straight off the cylinder. Someone really needs a word in your installers ear
That's the point I am trying to make. This is the way all these houses in this estate were installed in 1984.To run in entirely new pipe would be a nightmare as the pipes go from under the house up through stud walls through floor joists and behind stud walls.
I do know this is not right but it is what I am left with,but will putting an auto vent valve in the plastic pipe leaving the tank work or not.

No do you understand what the vent is for

The fact that you have moved the cylinder doesn’t negate the fact that it still needs to be correctly plumbed to G3 regs

They can’t deal with the temp should your cylinder overheat likewise your vent pipe needs to be correctly reinstalled in copper. Who re-pipes it all in plastic?

Please stop ignoring the vent issue too we are thinking of your safety here. If you have moved the cylinder yourself then you really really needed to have a clue on what the pipes actually do. The vent pipe is not just for getting air out of the system and needs to be correctly plumbed to cope with any safety failures.

They can’t deal with the temp should your cylinder overheat likewise your vent pipe needs to be correctly reinstalled in copper. Who re-pipes it all in plastic?
Tank is fitted with a 6 bolt howden which has one control thermostat and an over-temperature safety thromostat for protection,this complies with the current IEE REGULATIONS TO BS7671.If you had read the post correctly the pipe runs up to the cold tank which means if both stats fail and the tank over heats the superheated water will flow into the cold tank in the loft.THE HOT WATER IS TEE,D OFF THIS VERTICAL dare l say it VENT pipe.

Vented-Hot-Water-Cylinder-Repairs-And-Installation-Services.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vent problems after tank move in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock