Search the forum,

Discuss Van stock how much do you carry? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
My van always seems full but you can always guarantee that I dont have the bit that I need so end up driving to the merchants. It is always nice when you go to a job and it's a faulty 3 way valve you walk to the van and come back in with a new one the job is done within an hour and the customer is happy.

But sometimes i look at the bits in my van and think why do I carry all this for that 1 job every few months.

So what do you carry (not a full list dont think anyone has got time to go through everything in their vans)

Obviously I have all the usual 10/15/22/28 fittings end feed and compression I carry a lot of 1-1/4 solvent bits and over flow as the majority of my work is heating based.

What about spares? I carry a couple of gaskets Worcester, ideal, vaillant and an assortment of aavs and prvs then I always have a pump, 3 way valve, 2 port valve wired room stat etc etc but a lot of these are just sat on the van for months then I use them.

Same with traps I have an assortment of traps but they end up having the odd bit stolen off them then when I do need them I end up having to buy another. So do you hold traps, pan connectors etc? You can always guarantee if you take a bent pan connector you will need a space saver or if you take a straight you need an offset, which isn't a problem if your working 5-10 minutes from the merchants but if your 30 mins from the merchant it's a nightmare.

Morning Millsy,

I tend to keep flush and fill valve, a couple of pan connectors, some braided flexi hoses, 32mm & 40mm waste fittings, glue, plumbersmate, brass compression fittings etc.... the 2/3 port valves I'm not carrying with me neither the ch pump as I know in advance what my days look like. Definitely good practice is to keep so.e service stuff for various boilers.

Copper fittings , pipe , flexi hoses anything else i go get .

Never keep parts like 3 port valves.

Suppliers dont over stock as its expensive nor do i.

Besides i can charge another hour to go pick it up and have a cupppa whilst doing it

I cleared a lot of the stuff out yesterday. Because I had so much in there I could never find anything so ended up just going and buying more, I pulled 5 close coupled kits, 3 room stats, about 6 bottles of cleaner/inhibitor out of the van. 1 of the stats was from when I set myself up originally 5 years ago! I've now got a free shelf on my van!!!

When I used to work for a company I used to carry a couple of pumps a 3 way valve a Worcester fan etc etc but then I was doing 30-40 service/breakdowns a week so I would usually fit most of it within a month. Now I'm probably doing 30 service/breakdowns a month so the parts are sitting on the van for months on end.

Dont get me wrong its awesome when I walk in to a breakdown say your pump is shot and walk out an hour later with a happy customer and a bit more money in my pocket because I didnt have to go to the merchants. But I think I'm going to stop holding so much stock.

Reply to Van stock how much do you carry? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey, I've got a leaking toilet and I need to replace the filling valve device which is a Geberit 810.L3 Type 340 with a 1/2" connector. Problem I've got is the connection under the tank (image attached). The top plastic nut (yellow) is only to hold the fill valve in place - I can undo it by...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock