Search the forum,

Discuss valliant turbomax vuw 242e no heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
directed at any valliant service tech,s or plumbers. on the above boiler , fires up and immedieately the heating flow pipe warms then gets very VERY hot while the return to boiler stays cold ! soon after the boiler stat climbs to 100C then blows off and cuts out. My 1st thought was diverter valve, to which he said was replaced 10 month ago. Seemed to have cured it then and lasted till now, another plumber came out about a week ago, and fobbed him off by saying it was the circulating pump that had packed up, didnt cure it and he didnt come back!

Are the diverters on these models prone for packing up, plumb centrre seem to have a dozen on the shelf which to me indicates a regular part sold !!

Im an OFTEC engineer so usually stick to my oil boilers, but our gas man was busy so went, seen as its not gas related i can fit the part so not a problem, just wanted any other opinions before i charge the guy the £130 part !!

directed at any valliant service tech,s or plumbers. on the above boiler , fires up and immedieately the heating flow pipe warms then gets very VERY hot while the return to boiler stays cold ! soon after the boiler stat climbs to 100C then blows off and cuts out. My 1st thought was diverter valve, to which he said was replaced 10 month ago. Seemed to have cured it then and lasted till now, another plumber came out about a week ago, and fobbed him off by saying it was the circulating pump that had packed up, didnt cure it and he didnt come back!

Are the diverters on these models prone for packing up, plumb centrre seem to have a dozen on the shelf which to me indicates a regular part sold !!

Im an OFTEC engineer so usually stick to my oil boilers, but our gas man was busy so went, seen as its not gas related i can fit the part so not a problem, just wanted any other opinions before i charge the guy the £130 part !!

without looking at it, first thing that came into my head was the pump ?

all your valves on boiler/ rads open ?

Hi thanks JAH heating, yes all rad valves open, like i say, the flow pipe becomes hot, from the boiler then up the wall to second floor but doesnt even reach the first rad before losing its temp, so to me water not flowing ! The circ pump was replaced last week so big shiney new pump, which yes i checked is actually working, never cured the problem apparently and the guy who fitted it never came back. The pump itself is warm but not overhating, the secondary exchanger is warm so, most parts on the flow side are in operation as would be expected. But return pipe stone cold, also checked setting on pump, its on III so full power

Hi thanks JAH heating, yes all rad valves open, like i say, the flow pipe becomes hot, from the boiler then up the wall to second floor but doesnt even reach the first rad before losing its temp, so to me water not flowing ! The circ pump was replaced last week so big shiney new pump, which yes i checked is actually working, never cured the problem apparently and the guy who fitted it never came back. The pump itself is warm but not overhating, the secondary exchanger is warm so, most parts on the flow side are in operation as would be expected. But return pipe stone cold, also checked setting on pump, its on III so full power

Sounds like it could be blocked mate ?

Throw a hose on it, see what the condition of the water is like ?

yes, thanks think it would be wise to try your method first, could still take a few parts with me and strip down / clean etc, i think there is a service kit for the diverters, im not sure if it had ever been flushed through when it has had previous work

Are you getting plenty hot water alex? That'll rule out the pump :) Did the guy turn the iso's back on fully? If you suspect the valve is stuck in h/w position remove the pump and you'll see the valve diverter. At rest it sits on the bottom, turn a hot tap on and you.ll see it rise up!If it's stuck to the roof of the housing then you'll know its deffo the valve. You can get a service kit for the diverter valve, by-the-way, much cheaper than the whole valve. Can't say I've ever had one stick in hot water only position to be honest :)

Are you getting plenty hot water alex? That'll rule out the pump :) Did the guy turn the iso's back on fully? If you suspect the valve is stuck in h/w position remove the pump and you'll see the valve diverter. At rest it sits on the bottom, turn a hot tap on and you.ll see it rise up!If it's stuck to the roof of the housing then you'll know its deffo the valve. You can get a service kit for the diverter valve, by-the-way, much cheaper than the whole valve. Can't say I've ever had one stick in hot water only position to be honest :)

Ok, to be honest i never asked but im sure he said that since the heating stopped working he had switched the boiler off. I just rang him to ask, but basically he said he had spent the best part of £800 on it repairing it. He is now going to get a new boiler fitted so at least parts / labour warrranty.

Shame really, as i would of liked to have had a look at the possible problems.

I think I'd have had enough after £800, depends if that was over it's life time or not though :)

You know when you've been at this game a long time when boilers you use to install are now well past their sell-by date ... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to valliant turbomax vuw 242e no heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a TURBOMax Plus 828E in a small Annex that only has 3 Rads. The boiler Cycles but is only ignited for about 30-40 seconds before reaching target Temp and then goes on pump overrun. Given that there are only 3 Rads and are 'designer' with a total combined KW spec of about 2.5kw, the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Have a Valliant Ecotec Plus 637 system boiler that is showing no error codes and S.0 (no demand for heat), but it is not heating. Have checked that it is receiving switched 240V heat demand from controller into PCB, so believe it's just a boiler issue. Boiler was working fine up until...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring, probably not been used until recently now it's colder. When heating is called for, the boiler fires up ok but soon shuts down the heater as the...
Replies
Views
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel and he replaced the heat exchanger element. The boiler is coming up for 15 years old. The boiler was going below one bar and not increasing when...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock