Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 losing pressure overnight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
But are you also worried I may blow myself up? :)
that is the first step by you to trying your diy skills on your boiler now.
next you will be asking where is the expansion vessel and what to do about it.
just get a gsr back in and get it sorted

You need a gas safe registered engineer to come in, identify and repair the fault.

Just been to a customers house to recommend a suitable shower for their new 'combi' which turned out to be an EcoTec Plus 624 (24KW). They've had the same problem as mentioned here with loss of pressure and leaks everywhere which has seen the engineer come out on numerous occasions without finding the fault. On the last visit the engineer gave them a brand new filling loop and told them to just top it up if it happens again. Unbelievable!

Going to go back in a minute to check for leaks but I've a feeling it may be the expansion vessel which I'm not getting involved with, they can get the gas engineer back AGAIN.

Expansion vessels are basic stuff, always annoys me when I find them flat, as pound to a penny will need a prv also. It doesn;t take much to check them on a service, you're draining some water off to check inhibitor levels anyway why not drop a little more out to take pressure off and check vesel whilst you're there.

You want to be checking the 15mm copper pipe which goes from the boiler through the wall to outside. If that is dripping/running then your PRV is passing. If it's passing, you want to be looking in to why the PRV has gone off in the first place.

Either the expansion vessel has lost it's air charge or the rubber diaphragm has perished and the air side is now full of water. If this is the case, when you're heating the water it has nowhere to expand to so the pressure on your boiler will keep going up until it hits 3 bar and then goes out the PRV. Easy way to check if there's an expansion issue - Top the boiler back up to 1.5 bar pressure, run the heating, if the pressure keeps rising to 3 bar, that's your problem. You could even have a blockage in the pipe which connects to the expansion vessel, I've seen this multiple times, specially on the ones with the flexi pipe connecting from the back of the pump housing to the expansion vessel.

Or, if the filling loop is passing, the pressure will keep going up even with the central heating turned off.

Or, another possible cause, but most unlikely is that the plate to plate dhw heat exchanger has pin holed, causing cold water to enter the central heating side.

If the PRV is passing, you can normally clean them up and they'll be fine, but sometimes you will need to replace them.

But whatever the cause, really you need to be getting a Gas Safe registered engineer back to check it all out.

Last edited:
Checked the PRV outside and it doesn't look like it's ever discharged. I did however find a leaking conex on the heating flow going into the cylinder and evidence of a recent leak through the ceiling which was just another conex which needed nipping up. All fine now anyway and I told them to hit the Conex Kid with that filling loop if they ever see him again.

Seeing as I only went out to speak to them about a shower it's ended up being a good evening. They want a new kitchen fitting too! *Dances*

Checked the PRV outside and it doesn't look like it's ever discharged. I did however find a leaking conex on the heating flow going into the cylinder and evidence of a recent leak through the ceiling which was just another conex which needed nipping up. All fine now anyway and I told them to hit the Conex Kid with that filling loop if they ever see him again.

Seeing as I only went out to speak to them about a shower it's ended up being a good evening. They want a new kitchen fitting too! *Dances*
you rang ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 losing pressure overnight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock